Alrighty then........I've seen this posted on other boards, but don't remember seeing it here. Maybe it has been and if I am repeating it unknowingly, sorry and get over it! Wink

When you guys are using a baitcaster reel, what side do you reel it from compared to when you are using a spinning reel? I have seen where people who usually crank with their left hand on a spinning reel, will switch the rod handle to their left hand while the cast is in the air, to instead crank with their right hand, while using said baitcaster. I've also seen people crank both a BC and spinning reel from the same side too. I guess it's personal preference, but I'm interested to hear what this group has to say about it, because after all this, group rules and the rest just drool! Plus I haven't posted in awhile anyway!

MAFF baby!!

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

i use all left handed reels. why? personal preference and it feels more natural. i started using right handed reels and started getting used to it then realized it feels weird switching when casting and pitching. the downside: there isn't a lot of selection unless you want to pay more for a higher end model. this isn't just brand but also gear ratios. sometimes you won't find the high ones, and sometimes the low ones.

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:33 pm

funny timing. I was just thinking about this the other day. I just started fishing with my first baitcaster. I bought a RH reel, and it feels almost alien to be setting the hook with my left and reeling with my right. I was wondering if everyone just got used to that or if i should have bought a LH reel even though I am a righty.

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:40 pm

im also a lefty when it comes to reeling and i set hooks with my right hand i cant set hooks very well with my left if i reel with my right but i can use a right handed reel if need be. i like that i dont have to swap hands casting, cast with my right reel with my left.

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:07 pm

my first baitcaster was rh and I hated switching hands. I grew up using spinning gear setting the hook righty and reeling lefty so now all my reels are LH and it just feels better

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm with everybody here. I started with spinning rods so it just seems natural to continue reeling with your left hand. I have 2 baitcasters and their both LH.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:40 am

I'm proficient with casting and reeling with either hand, on my spinning gear I prefer to cast with the right and reel with the left probably 90% of the time. Most techiniques that I throw spinning are "finesse" and I've found my right hand to be more sensitive to light bites than the left.
Baitcasters I use a right handed cast/ right hand retrieve with the old "switch" hands after the cast. I do however prefer a left hand reel on my pitching rod as I like to be able to crank and set the hook inmmediately after the bait touches down. Also the same reason why I like a flipping switch on my pitching reels. Allows me to release the thumb bar and set the hook if and when the bait gets whacked as soon as it hits the water. Probably just a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:51 am

Fallentimber took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 am

yeah same here, I do exactly that as well. always have.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am

Personally, I've been doing the "switch hands after the cast" on the few occaisions I use a baitcaster, but want to add a baicaster to the arsenal on a regular basis this season. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and picked up both LH and RH reels. It felt more natural to reel on the left (like I currently do with a spinning reel), even though I've been doing the opposite. Maybe that's because I never had access to a LH baitcaster before and makes sense to me?

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 am

I use left handed retrieves opn all my rigs except 1 RH baitcaster that I have set up this year excliusively for pitching/flipping. I find it easier and more accurate to flip with my left hand.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 am

fffffffffffffff

Last edited by stevelibs on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:32 pm

You see, THAT'S exactly what I love about this site! The knowledge of our members is ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AWESOME!! Seriously, who is better than MAFF??? Thank you brother!

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I use right handed on both. I wish I had done it the other way do to having to switch hands. How ever after thirty plus years I'm used to it.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 pm

as a lot of people have said, it's all personal preference. you can catch fish either way. go with what's most comfortable. as more people are starting to go with left handed baitcast reels, the selection of left handed reels is increasing. like damon, i've tried setting the hook with the other hand and it didn't feel natural so i stuck with what was easiest.

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links