I just picked up an open box but unused Zebco Omega Pro Spincast reel. Full disclosure: I haven't used a spincaster since I was, maybe, 10 years old. But I have a couple of 1960's Garcia Companion rods I'ld like to use this with.

Anyone use this reel and have any opinions on it? I primarily fish Mitchell spinning reels and thought this would be a change. I also have a fresh water Ambassadeur reel though I can't remember the model and the moment.

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am

I have one but don't use it much anymore.

As far the reel goes, it's probably about the best spin cast you can get. (Seriously, if you go to BPS, it's like the top/end of the line) Overall though, It's very well made and doesn't jam very often. Definitely not a cheap Wal-Mart reel.

If you have an extra rod, might as well put it on and give it a shot. It may not cast as far or have the same response as the spinning reels, but it's still a great backup.

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. It's more for fun, to see what a spincasting reel is all about than anything else. Maybe some use off the occasional bridge or jetty too when I wouldn't be casting much in any event.

Like the extra bait casting reel, it's just to try out a different kind of fishing. I'm spinning all the way and don't plan on changing.

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 pm

I plan on buying a Black Zebco Pro 3 Reel . I like it for lite lures
an use my bait caster for my heaver lures.

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Funny thing is, I use an old Mitchell 308A for light lures. Tried a new Shimano for light lures and it kept on fouling the lines. The old reel never fouls. I think the bails on the new reels don't do very well with tiny lures.

I'll give the Zebco a trial on the tiny lures too. I'm looking for something that will wing a small lure without having to add a lot of extra junk on the line. On the 308A, I usually use 4lb test but I'm thinking 6 or even 8lb on the Zebco

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:52 pm

BTW, compared the the PBS forums, it's so polite here. Nice.

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:52 pm

toolemera

BTW, compared the the PBS forums, it's so polite here. Nice.

This is a classy establishment!

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm

toolemera

Funny thing is, I use an old Mitchell 308A for light lures. Tried a new Shimano for light lures and it kept on fouling the lines. The old reel never fouls. I think the bails on the new reels don't do very well with tiny lures.

I'll give the Zebco a trial on the tiny lures too. I'm looking for something that will wing a small lure without having to add a lot of extra junk on the line. On the 308A, I usually use 4lb test but I'm thinking 6 or even 8lb on the Zebco

The new Zebco Pro comes with 2 spools with 10lb lines red/camo

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:38 pm

I just got my new Zebco Omega Pro Spincast reel and I installed it
to a ML rod . Can't wait to try it out this weekend . I bought it from Amazon.com for $64. and Free Shipping , My new rod I bought last year when it was on sell for $39. from Bass Pro Shop now they have the same set-up combo in there catalog for $99. {x&#}.
My first Zebco Delta Reel I bought back in '08 when I pick up fishing again and the biggest bass I caught with it was a 5lb bass the first day of fishing so I hope I get the same luck with this new reel. My bait cast reel will be use for frogs and any heavy lures I have or get.

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links