Hello folks.

I have rediscovered fishing just over a year ago and I am taking it more seriously than ever before. I am interested in catching bass, largemouth and small. I have fished with senkos from the shore in many of the lakes here in the New England area and never caught anything. The very first time I take a canoe out, I start catching bass.

Is it safe to say, that you're not gonna catch too much bass, fishing from shore, than you are if you're in a boat?

If so, is shore fishing just for panfish, for the most part? Should I always jump in a boat if I want bass?

I am obviously still learning how to use my lures and I know that a good fisherman can catch anything anywhere but I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

Gorgeous Violette

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Not always true. It all depends on the shore access of a particular lake.

How many times have you seen someone fishing from shore cast as far out to the middle of a lake as possible while someone from a boat is casting as close to the shore as possble. I've seen it alot but maybe its just me.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:29 pm

You can def. catch bass from shore, all depends on where and when, like everything else. If you're fising in the middle of the day with bright sunshine in a popular shore spot with little cover, then your chances are slim. But move around, fish at the right times, try different techniques to fit the situation, and you will have some luck. Panfish are generally much more eager to bite, even from popular shore spots, but don't count out the bass. Canoe obviously will give you more options, and you can hit spots that aren't heavily pressured like most shore spots, so your chances increase significantly.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I do a fair amount of shore fishing, and have had some decent luck with bass. I will say my larger bass have come from a kayak, but I have had lots of good days on the shore with big bass. If you're using senkos a lot, try casting them into openings in weeds close to shore, or perhaps doing a Texas or Carolina rig, with a weight to get to some deeper water/ledges, whatever.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:33 pm

massbassassin

Not always true. It all depends on the shore access of a particular lake.

How many times have you seen someone fishing from shore cast as far out to the middle of a lake as possible while someone from a boat is casting as close to the shore as possble. I've seen it alot but maybe its just me.

The problem is that in MA, most shores are covered with bushes, so the only access to near-shore fishing is from a boat. A 60 acre pond is about a mile around, and you might have 1-2 spots to fish from. And if the shallow water is weedy - and great for fishing - you'd usually rather sit in a boat and cast towards the weeds over clear water than stand on shore, where the weeds are thick, and cast into them.

To catch bass from shore, you need to scout the water. Look at the access, and see how much water you can cover from where you stand.

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm

learning the patterns of movement for bass is very important, especially if you're limited to shore fishing (like me).

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/bass-fishing-patterns.html

this is a helpful website with all sorts of information about bass fishing. the particular page that it links to talks about bass movement in relation to seasons but there is much more to bass movement. good luck!

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Speaking of shore fishing, was able to get out for an hour this evening until sunset to just get a line wet, limited to shore fishing due to time...Hit probably the most popular shore fishing spot in this area due to quick and easy access, and hit it right with the conditions, etc... and got a nice 2lber and also maybe a 2.5-2.75 lber...lol. The second one was literally in 6 inches of water, the shallowest I have ever caught a bass. It was like a redfish with his back out of the water following and sucking down my crankbait...good times. It was still light out in second picture, but the flash makes it look like its pitch black out..

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:08 pm

All of this has been insightful and very helpful. It was nice to hear what the general consensus was... thanks again for your advices!

GV

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 pm

knobcreek...care to share where that spot is? Smile

i too dont haev a kayak or other means to get into the water so im limited to shore fishing. still looking for that perfect spot for bass...

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:22 am

I just started fishing this year, and ive had my kayak about 2 weeks. Since i started kayak fishing, its been night and day. I never got a bite from the shore becasue its very hard to find a clear spot to cast from, and once you do find it, it usually isnt near a bass-friendly spot.

For ponds and calm rivers, Job Lot has a cheapo kayak for under $200. Just mount a rod holder and youre all set.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:59 pm

No not really i mean obviously if you have a boat you have more access tothe good spots.. but ive recently found a secluded rarely fished spot that is loaded with bass i fish from the shore,went today and caught my first within 5 minutes,really just depends on the location.

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links