"Sea robins have six spiny "legs", three on each side. These legs are actually flexible spines that were once part of the pectoral fin. Over time, the spines separated themselves from the rest of the fin, developing into feeler-like "forelegs". The pectoral fins have been thought to let the fish "walk" on the bottom, but are really used to stir up food.[citation needed] The first three rays of the pectoral fins are membrane-free "

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:03 am

well s*** if sea ravens and scalpuns are poisonous im surprised im not dead! ive caught a ton of em! especally scalpuns!! i guess imunned to their poison

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:42 pm

No John was right sea robins def have poison

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Sea Raven.

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:21 pm

100% a sculpin. NOT a sea robin

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm

It looks like a sea raven. Did it have fleshy tags on it's head? I couldn't tell in the pic.

http://www.gma.org/fogm/sculpins_sea-ravens.htm

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm going to side with the Sea Raven folks. Specifically, the species Hemitripterus americanus. And it is most definitely in the scorpaeniforms (scorpionfishes).

The origin of the dorsal fin, differential emargination of the dorsal fin membrane, first and second dorsal fin spine and ray counts (XVI, I-12)... It's the only one of the sculpins in the region with that dorsal fin shape.

I'm not as good at marine IDs as my coworkers, so if you want to be 100 percent sure, I can find out for you.

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Mother in law fish

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:16 am

It is a sea raven. Some are bright red or orange. I bet he grunted at you. Pretty common around here.

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links