I've pretty much figured out how to stay warm in the kayak even during these cold days. I typically start with a layer of UnderArmor (top and bottom) to wick away moisture, then a cotton t-shirt, then a thin layer of fleece (awesome stuff and totally essential) and then a windbreaker or rain top. I have a pair of neoprene kayak gloves purchased from LL Bean that are form fitting and keep my hands warm so long as I do not soak them. On my legs I will wear jeans or sweats (over the UnderArmor) and then a pair of booted chest waders. The only thing I haven't gotten right are the feet. I'm still looking for a really good pair of socks that I can wear with those waders.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Get a pair of the neoprene wading socks. I bought a pair last week at BPS and they make a huge difference. Simms wading socks, in the fly fishing section. $29.99. I wear them under my neoprene waders with 2 pair of wool socks Exclamation

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I go out in jeans t-shirt sweat shirt and sneakers..
But this is my 1st winter with my kayak. So lets see how warm I'll be.

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 am

Don, thanks for that info. Will go to BP this week to check out those socks!

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:41 am

i place a car floor matt on the floor of the kayak to help keep my feet n legs warm and i also bring a black trashbag and cover my legs and lap(it absorbs heat from the sun and keeps legs from getting wet when im paddling) i also have a pair of fingerless gloves for when i'm fishing and fingererd gloves for paddling

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 am

Neoprene gloves are nice also for keeping the hands warm. Only pain is when unhooking a fish I have to take them off so I don't destroy them with the hooks! Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am

The floor mat (or carpet/rug) is an interesting idea, providing a little insulation from the cold water against the hull.

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 am

I am new to this site but I have been kayak fishing for many years. I have to say you guys are breaking the #1 rule of kayaking, weather it be fishing or just paddling, especially in the winter. You need to dress for the water!! Unless you have been in the water when it is 40* or less, you really don't know what it is like. This time of year you need to be completely isolated from the water. Drysuit or at least waders and drytop.

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 am

Thought you were going fishing Question Too cold for ya Question Laughing

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am

don51

Thought you were going fishing Question Too cold for ya Question Laughing

Going in a little while. Probably down to Landers. Dress out in drysuit at home.

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 am

Is this the NEKF Frogman? Welcome kayak brother to MAFF. I am Jayboy on NEKF.

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 pm

And we all meet Exclamation Laughing I'm Sheamus Exclamation

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Hey Sheamus, I enjoy your posts at NEKF.

Frogman is right, I use the waders but I need to order a good drytop. Gotta hope for the best but prepare for the worst, and it's short money if it does end up saving your life. That goes for you cartopper guys too. I've seen you guys go overboard more often than the yakers. Be safe.

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 am

berkleegrad

Is this the NEKF Frogman? Welcome kayak brother to MAFF. I am Jayboy on NEKF.

Ya, That's me. Need to stop in over here more often. Thanks for the welcome Jayboy.

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 am

don51

And we all meet Exclamation Laughing I'm Sheamus Exclamation

Hi Don, never made it out yesterday. Turning into a wuss Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:13 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links