you guys find that these two variables play a significant role in where you choose to fish? for example targeting a spot where the wind is generating current and pushing bait into a cove or particular area of shoreline.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 pm

You will always find fish on the windy shoreline! Never cared about the moon phase Exclamation Laughing

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 pm

don51

You will always find fish on the windy shoreline! Never cared about the moon phase Exclamation Laughing

must be a striper thing. new moon is the balls.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm

I always hold to the old saying: Winds from the east, fishing is least;Winds from the west, fishing is best. I haven't really had much help from the moon.

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 pm

never noticed much impact from moon phases.

as for wind....when there is a chop, or anything more than mirror calm conditions bass will tend to get more comfortable underwater, they will come out of the weeds more willingly, and come shallower in the water column because the same way that you can't see into the water when there's a chop, they can't see out, this gives them a sense of security. Fish will always be more active and more willing to chase baits from their hiding spot when there's movement ie wind on the surface.

i know those gorgeous calm conditions when you can walk a surface plug across mirror glass water are enticing, however it is not an ideal condition.

take it fwiw, just what i have found over the years.

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 am

There is definitly something to the moon phases. I used to keep logs every single time of where and when I went fishing and what I caught and where I caught it and on what bait. Bigger fish definitly feed more during the new and full moons. It is said that under a new moon it is very dark out and fish have a more difficult time feeding at night, they then feed heavily during the day to make up for missed opportunity. During a full moon it is said most "hatches" occur then. Lots of new bait in the water means predators feeding. But you have to take these and other factors into account. For example if it is early April or May and you have a new moon but it is the day after a major cold front and you have N.E. winds at 20mph and bluebird skys, the new moon is not going to matter much. It is when you have multiple facctors in your favor that fishing is best. A July day with the new moon a west wind at 10-15, cloudy with a cold front approaching after 4-5 days of stable weather............It's ON.

Oh and wind does not "push" baitfish unless its blowing 100mph and the bait is on the surface. The wind moves the plankton that thet baitfish feed on, the baitfish follow the plankton, the bass follow the baitfish

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 am

Plankton, what is this sponge bob square pants?

Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links