talk about state record fish, what you guys gonna do if you caught it? I would love to transport to Bass Pro Shop and put it in their tank, maybe in exchange for some gift cards (LOL). I was talking to the feeding guy at BPS about this subject. He told me the law prohibits transport live fish in MA. (?) He said if you ever caught one, call store to see what they can do about it. I know I hike miles in Chu, how can I keep it alive? Maybe, I need call someone come in with a tank carry possible 100 pound weight out there. I really don't like to kill that fish. LOL.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:35 am

kman

a good read ..... http://www.trophybassonly.com/id89.htm

Pretty good. The only thing I didn't like is how he kept emphasizing how rare abnormal genes were yet he managed to get one in his tank out of 8 fish

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 am

kman

a good read ..... http://www.trophybassonly.com/id89.htm

Yes, it can be the truth. But it was in the gene, it was a freak north bass. It needs all the right ingredients, it may never happen again. You may catch a LMB with the same or longer length. If the stomach is not there it won't be a record fish. The odds is like winning the mega million. LOL.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 am

I will be more than happy with a 10 pounder.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am

I would not be surprised if that 10lber gets caught from the Sudbury res with the water leval down!!!

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 am

markdegrenier

I would not be surprised if that 10lber gets caught from the Sudbury res with the water leval down!!!

I accessed Sud Res off route 9 in Southboro (I think). I fished it on the causeway. Sometimes there is a big water flow there(Dam?). I let the current carry out the crankbait and reel it back then let it go again, didn't even bother with casting. I caught some fish that way. Is there any more fishable shoreline there? Thanks.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am

Just in case I just signed up for the Mustard "Hook a Million" contest.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Unlawful to transport live fish is as much of a joke as the lead ban law Exclamation Guys with bass boats with livewells move fish around all the time Exclamation I've seen it first hand. Take fish from one pond and put them in the "honeyhole" Exclamation

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I'd be happy with a 9-5 haha

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 pm

yea the possibility is always there that another record will be caught but the likelihood is pretty small. That fish had to have had some freak genetics in it. You gotta figure though that if some of those genes from the record fish were passed on in the same lake that it could happen again.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I know it might not ever be touched, but MASS does have big fish and there is usually a 7-9 pound LM bass in even in some small 10 acre ponds. Now they may only be a couple maybe even one, but still goes to show that MASS can produce. Now thats not even counting the beautiful spring fed ponds and lakes. The only reason i think that record hasen't been broke is becasue we dont have guys like they do in cali hunting year round for only huge fish. Then again i dont know everyone in MASS whos fishing.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

I read somewhere that the MA record was reported to have come out of Mill Pond. Now we know that freakish size LM in CA can be traced to the stocking of trout (its something like 20 out of 25 largest bass ever caught are from CA). Now Mill Pond experiences a herring run although it, like most places with herring, has experienced a decline due to industrialization. Thus along with freakish genetics, a 15lber could be supplementing its diet with herring (as having a readily available food source that is the perfect balance of fat and protein is key), maybe experience a "nice" string of winters, along with a host of other factors. Will the record be beaten? Probably not. Does it exist? Maybe. The fact that MA has a fish following that would rival most southern states ends up making those big ones smarter and even harder to catch. Who knows how the changing environmental factors play into the whole equation either.

And I get the no transporting fish law although if you want to keep the big one you caught alive and take it to get weighed in (and subsequently return it), you have to break the law which makes no sense.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Well, I use to think as long as it is a native species we can transport it without environmental concerns. But, the law makes sense that if we carry a diseased sick fish, it can endanger fish in the released place.

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am

i mean if the bass was raised in a holding pond somewhere, the person who caught it would know they were cheating and not get the full satisfaction of doig it. when i was 8 or 9, my dad hooked one at gull pond in wefleet that weighed in at 3 pounds. i felt like i cheated and i wasnt as happy asi was when i caught this 10 incher earlier. (the 3 biggest i ever caught myself were a 3.5 pound lmb, my first fish ever when i was 5, a 4 pound smb at boot pond in plymouth, and a 5 pounder at my honeyhole in the upper cape)

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links