The fish in Rich's profile picture could have been the result of a rattle. I pitched into the same mat about 5 times, he flipped in and pulled a 6 out. He was also throwing a bigger bulkier bait than I was. Or I shook it off so he could catch it since I caught a 7+ earlier that day. Who really knows?!!

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am

jbigun

The fish in Rich's profile picture could have been the result of a rattle. I pitched into the same mat about 5 times, he flipped in and pulled a 6 out. He was also throwing a bigger bulkier bait than I was. Or I shook it off so he could catch it since I caught a 7+ earlier that day. Who really knows?!!

Wow!!!!! just....... WOW!!! Laughing

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

I throw football jigs and flipping jigs with rattles nearly all the time in dirty water. In clear water, I use them only if flipping into heavy cover, the only time ive had better success with no rattle in dirty water was the last day of a 3 day tournament on a community hole I was using a small keitech fb jig with a small craw trailer and no rattle and got 3 fish off a spot that had been hammered

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

I like rattles. To me, it depends on the color of the water, whether it's cloudy or cloudless, etc. My confidence level rises when I use a rattle, especially if using plastics or jigs. I agree w/all the arguments presented but I think it's a personal preference, more than anything else.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

i like and dislike rattles lol. on jigs ill use rattles unless they are flipping jigs. i use lipless cranks ALOT and i always make sure to have all bases covered, ill have a bunch with rattles a few one knockers and a few silent. depending on how pressured the water you fish is they can become conditioned to the rattles and start avoiding them which is when i start throwing the one knocker in particular rapala clackin rap and clackin cranks and if they still wont hit that then ill go silent and ususally get bit .i fish alot at night time though so more often then not i find myself throwing stuff with rattles just to help them find my bait in the dark, ive even put a little glowstick sleeve made to put on a bobber on my line just above the lure and stuck a little 1 inch glowstick in and gotten bit that way in total darkness but they dont fall for that old trick much anymore

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

twitch13

It is all a matter of personal preference like so many other options in fishing are.Scent or no scent fast or slow suspending or not many choices and many options.Floating bait on a carolina rig and so on do what feels right at the time and what you have confidence in

Bingo!

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 pm

rattles not only make a noise they also send out a little vibration in the water that can help the fish find the bait I've used jigs with and with out rattles in every type of fishing condition i have fished i have found when the water is cold or when the water is colored I've had better luck with a rattle but when the water is clear it hasn't made much of a difference i think its because the fish will rely more on sight than their lateral line but when the water is stained they will rely more on smell and their lateral line.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:44 pm

kmsnowman

twitch13

It is all a matter of personal preference like so many other options in fishing are.Scent or no scent fast or slow suspending or not many choices and many options.Floating bait on a carolina rig and so on do what feels right at the time and what you have confidence in

Bingo!

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links