I just started using this technique and on the advice of a guy from Ohio that I met on facebook with the name of Topwater Tony I bought an xcalibur xj4 Jimmy in chrome and blue (discontinued). I have not been disappointed. I caught a 4 pounder the first day I used it and in a week of on and off fishing have caught over twenty fish. I'm wondering what other baits I should look into. The zara spook is already on my radar as well as Lucky Crafts Gunfish.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:12 am

check out the lucky craft sammy. sort of pricey but a great topwater bait. i've caught so many on one lure the eyes have fallen off. doesn't matter...still catches fish. it sits below the water when you're not walking it and gets a lot of strikes then. makes for a good hook up ratio as well. i still swap trebles out though.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am

samf

check out the lucky craft sammy. sort of pricey but a great topwater bait. i've caught so many on one lure the eyes have fallen off. doesn't matter...still catches fish. it sits below the water when you're not walking it and gets a lot of strikes then. makes for a good hook up ratio as well. i still swap trebles out though.

The xcalibur jimmy and the sammy look alike. Same style. I can't believe I ignored this type of bait for so long

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am

I usually just bring bisquets. He walks fine when i bring bisquets

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am

stratos1966

I usually just bring bisquets. He walks fine when i bring bisquets

Is that really your dog's name? Does he/she like jumping off the boat too?

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:08 am

I love these types of baits. My favorite for largemouths are the Yellow Magic Poppers. They are poppers that you can walk the dog with. My favorites colors are the bone and Japenese shad. They are really a versitle bait. You can of course pop them, but I prefer to walk them pretty fast. You can also kind of walk them back and forth in the same spot. With enough slack in your line you can get them to swim but not move too much. Their stock hooks do kind of suck.

Others I like are of course the Spooks, with the hard knocker being my favorite, River2Sea Rover, and if your looking for big bait I like the Ima Big Stick.

I may have to go throw some tonight!

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 am

thelucky

I love these types of baits. My favorite for largemouths are the Yellow Magic Poppers. They are poppers that you can walk the dog with. My favorites colors are the bone and Japenese shad. They are really a versitle bait. You can of course pop them, but I prefer to walk them pretty fast. You can also kind of walk them back and forth in the same spot. With enough slack in your line you can get them to swim but not move too much. Their stock hooks do kind of suck.

Others I like are of course the Spooks, with the hard knocker being my favorite, River2Sea Rover, and if your looking for big bait I like the Ima Big Stick.

I may have to go throw some tonight!

Great info!! I love big baits. Ima gonna check it out!!!

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 am

Shawn, google Lunker Punker. Now thats a top water walk the dog bait

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 am

They look awesome. I doubt I'll spend 25 bucks on one though. I'm still trying to justify the three slammers I bought

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 am

Rebel Jumpin Minnow. Both sizes in natural colors. I'll use Spooks and other kinds of topwaters but when I switch to these I always catch fish.

They are hard to find I have had to order them online more than once. Sometimes they will show up in the bargain box at WalMart though.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 am

Xcalibur Spit N' Image. Tough to come by but was a favorite as a kid and I will hunt them down online every now and again. Walk, pop, hop, skip, dive... does it all.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm

For me its the "Skip Jack".. these are out of production but I had a few tucked back for the 70's... you can find em on flea bay once in a while for under $10 bucks.

PJ

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

hands down for me is the luck craft sammy 100, walks the walk, and talks the talk,, lol. and seagull tested tough!

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links