When or if you catch a pin sized fished

and for fun...

What would you do if you caught a state record of your favorite species out of your best kept secret spot. Would you make it official and keep it(Or attempt to release without to much stress and long term health problems) and maybe chance ruining your spot to crowds of people trying to catch another big one? Or keep it secret and be happy at heart with photos/videos and have to deal with a bazillion people telling you that fish isn't that big or whatever complains would come rolling around, but with the pride that the fish is back in it's home alive and well and ready to fight another day.

Last edited by lunkerhunter2366 on Fri May 24, 2013 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 am

take a pic and use the MIB redpen on myself

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:38 am

I'd make love to it (on video of course) and then release. I'm not really motivated by the pins. I'm motivated by the hunt.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 am

Until Mass changes the rules I'll never turn in a record anyway.

I am strictly catch and release..aside from a few panfish or trout that sometimes find their way to my frying pan.

In order to get the record I would have to kill the fish, which I think is utterly silly. Many states are starting to do catch and release records without issue and I see no reason every state cannot do the same.

Personally I could care less what other people think. Sure, I enjoy sharing my fish and my stories with folks..but end of the day I know what I do and that is all that matters to me.

Pin fish, while I don't care too much I know some folks do. Having your own cert. scale helps as I mentioned in another thread.

On the secret spot stuff. I tend to keep my biggest fish swims under wraps. Not because I don't want to share it with other like minded anglers. Sadly bow hunting has been growing in popularity and when big fish pops up you can be sure the bow hunters will be there shortly after looking for it. I actually recently deleted all my trips again because of just that thing Sad

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

blackstonecarp

Until Mass changes the rules I'll never turn in a record anyway.

I am strictly catch and release..aside from a few panfish or trout that sometimes find their way to my frying pan.

In order to get the record I would have to kill the fish, which I think is utterly silly. Many states are starting to do catch and release records without issue and I see no reason every state cannot do the same.

Personally I could care less what other people think. Sure, I enjoy sharing my fish and my stories with folks..but end of the day I know what I do and that is all that matters to me.

Pin fish, while I don't care too much I know some folks do. Having your own cert. scale helps as I mentioned in another thread.

On the secret spot stuff. I tend to keep my biggest fish swims under wraps. Not because I don't want to share it with other like minded anglers. Sadly bow hunting has been growing in popularity and when big fish pops up you can be sure the bow hunters will be there shortly after looking for it. I actually recently deleted all my trips again because of just that thing Sad

I cant imagine showing up to one of my fav spots and seeing some guys in a boat with a bow. Idk how i would deal with people who shot a massive big old fish just for shits and giggles. I strongly disbelieve "bowfishing" or whaterver you want to call it. it seems really stupid and very easy and practically unfair, but each to their own...

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with Blackstone. I don't want to risk killing a trophy fish for a stupid pin. Until the state begins recognizing catch & release, I won't participate. Hell I've already released, according to my scale, a state pin lake trout, 2-smallmouth bass, and a largemouth this year. Sure I could have killed them and weighted them for a pin but that would be 4 less trophy fish in that body of water.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 3:05 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links