jjbagoose

biggz53

I stick to three (sometimes 4).

Very good writeup, thanks!

don't forget the perch colors, the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap in that color has always been a killer.

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:37 pm

oldfisher

jjbagoose

biggz53

I stick to three (sometimes 4).

Very good writeup, thanks!

don't forget the perch colors, the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap in that color has always been a killer.

absolutely. not all lakes have perch (most around here do) so i usually start off with the blue gil, but finding a square bill in perch i like has been tough....im not a big fan of the jointed crank baits just never had a ton of success

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm

The jointed rapala is my go to perch bait. It's a little on the light side though which makes it harder to cast

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 pm

jjbagoose

samf

i always match the hatch - perch, bluegill, crappie. or the usual natural / bright variations in certain water clarity.

Good question raised by the OP.

So what is the primary food for bass up here in MA? Is it mostly Perch, BlueGill, Crappie, Crawfish? I guess trout on certain ponds.

Are there others that I should be matching too? Do we have a lot of shad in the north east?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

up around here? perch, bluegill, crappie and crawfish.

some places have stocked trout and additional forage like white perch or herring.

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm a huge sucker for buying perch and bluegill cranks and other baits - but my success usually comes from the crappie colors and the charts

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 pm

oh yeah, they sometimes dump shad in the charles.

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Sam, who dumps shad in the Charles?

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:59 pm

I do have them samf but I have been using spro john both big and little shallow and deep and had a lot of sucess and yes wigglewarts awsome always have them in my boat

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 pm

the 5.6 in my profile pic was caught on a spro little john baby md. i love those crankbaits. watermelon red (clear water lake). i think some of the orange craw patterns can also mimic yellow perch pretty well.

6th sense covers most forage pretty well for square bills.

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:57 pm

samf

i think the watershed association?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/07/17/baby-shad-released-into-the-charles-river/OEDp9dFIi6B9lmAMOY9T7H/story.html

In the summer I sometimes see huge schools of shiny 1" bait in the Charles. I always assumed that they were baby herring but I guess they could be shad?

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:05 pm

like blueback herring? i don't know the specific type of shad released into the Charles but probably the most common kind.

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm

i love the excalibur pumpkinseed crank

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 pm

I like the Excalibur cranks. Gotta change the hooks though. Almost all the stock hooks suck.

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links