Great thread guys, I don't typically fish in the winter (unless I go to FL), but I was planning on doing so this year as I can't take 3+ months of no fishing any more...Love all your input on this...thanks.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Im Glad this post has gotten so much response. Its added a wealth of knowledge to something I had no clue of! I always figured once it got below 50 degrees my bass season was over. Couldnt have been more wrong I guess. Cant wait to try ice fishing this year or atleast hitting my favorite spot for much longer than usual. Thanks again everyone

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Also just to add about weather, i've never had any luck on clear gorgeous blue sky days when the atm pressure is high. All my recent positive fishing outings have come on overcast days with intermittent clouds and passing showers. seems like the fish get more active when the atm pressure drops or is dropping.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm

scoobystas

Also just to add about weather, i've never had any luck on clear gorgeous blue sky days when the atm pressure is high. All my recent positive fishing outings have come on overcast days with intermittent clouds and passing showers. seems like the fish get more active when the atm pressure drops or is dropping.

low pressure brings smaller organisms to the surface, that attracts bait fish, and predatory fish right behind them. Also, the cloud cover gives fish a sense of security so to speak. so it all makes sense, also pay attention to the wind. The old sayings usually work out, winds from the west fishing is best:Winds from the east fishing is least.

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 am

Ahhh this is why i havn't seen bass in shallows lol. The lakes I have ice fished get to 60-80 feet in depth.

stratos1966

markb

Remember, cold water sinks and warm water rises, so the water will be warmest right under the ice.

This is not true in winter. Just the opposite is. Water just below the ice is as close to 32* you can get without freezing. Just before ice in and just after ice out the surface temp is very close to 32* yet down in 6-7--8-feet and deeper the water temp is more like 37-38* and it stays that way all winter. Why? Because of water pressure deeper water (relitive term) never reaches 32*. If it did ponds would freeze from top to bottom every year and kill all the fish.
This is why on deeper ponds bass do go deep in the winter. The water there is actually warmer then the water in the shallower water. It's the shallow ponds (ponds under 8') that fish stay the most active in cold weather months.

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links