Went out today with the 12" slammer from 10:00 to 6:00. Caught two decent fish and had two followers that had to be 5+

Im glad the 12" gets bit, but your patience really runs thin towards the end of the day. Still have no clue for the retrieves either.. Keep catching fish differently?? Haven't had much luck waking it besides a few followers... Caught the biggest fish so far ripping the bait back to the boat??

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 pm

lunkerhunter2366

Went out today with the 12" slammer from 10:00 to 6:00. Caught two decent fish and had two followers that had to be 5+

Nice fish. What setup are you throwing that slammer on?

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:32 pm

You can also try cranking them down. My friend Sean and I do equally well cranking them down and waking them over or around weeds. Some days they want them cranked down and others they will only eat a waked bait. Sometimes they surprise you, like last weekend. My first two fish came waking the bait early morning, the air temp was only 38 degrees and it was foggy. By mid morning the fog burned off and they stopped hitting the waked baits and only wanted them if you cranked them down. Waking a slammer or slammer type bait works best for me in low light conditions, or windy conditions. If it is sunny or you have a high sunny day that's when I switch to cranking them down in shady or weedy areas.

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 am

jjbagoose

lunkerhunter2366

Nice fish. What setup are you throwing that slammer on?

LOL nothing i would recommend for big baits

7'6 Powell Diesel
BPS extreme(reel is practically wrecked from big baits)
25lb trilene big game

Throwing the large slammer at 3.2oz is pushing the rod to it's MAX potential.

Still gets the job done although i will admit i've lost most of the big fish i've hooked up with.. I blame the hooks in the beginning, but after changing i still lose a few... Really heart-breaking when you lose a 6+ in the beginning of throwing big baits.. Get a good setup and make sure you got sticky sharp hooks. I still get mad at myself for being ignorant when i started. It's defiantly not worth it!!! I've hooked up with atleast 4-8 fish 5+ and yet to land one.....

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Me too, I just ordered one!

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Keep at it. If you commit to the big baits they will work for you. I caught my largest bass in about 15 years a few weeks ago on a variation of the slammer and lost what would have been my personal best last weekend in a heart breaking fight which ended with the slob throwing the hooks. I've had good luck with my new swimbait set-up I bought this spring. I got a St. Croix Mojo bass swimbait rod rated 1-4oz. and paired that with a Daiwa lexa 300. If you look on ebay hard enough you can find that reel for $150 making the complete combo under $300.

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links