Just got myself my first slammer. Got a 9in and a 12... Just curious as too what others throw?? 7,9,12etc??? Not sure if the 12in is an overkill for around here? I see alot of guys catching small fish even on the 9'.

Tight lines

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I have a couple 7" and several 9" slammers. I started throwing the 7's and a month later bought a 9" The 7's have not seen much water since. The 12 is a HUGE bait and I know several guys who own them but hardly ever see a report with fish being caught on it. I wonder if Dan a.k.a Dsouth has and pigs on it? Perch and trout are my favorite colors with golden shiner coming in 3rd

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm

I have several swimbaits that I've had solid luck on when I'm patient enough to use them or when I'm in the right situations. I have a 7 inch frog pattern slammer and a 9 inch perch pattern slammer and an 8 inch trout pattern "unkown" hard swimbait that I've caught a couple pigs on. I honestly used to throw them more when I was able to fish more at night and usually that's when the big ones came out to play. Maybe I'll get back into using them on a semi-regular basis. Good luck LunkerHunter! Any fish that hits the 12 inch has a brass sack!

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the responses guys... I knew getting the 9' was a easy choice, but couldn't find much about the 12'... Theres a select few ponds i even plan on throwing the 12' with anykind of confidence. I'll fish it hard this fall and see what happens.

Will defiantly throw up a report if i get any success

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 pm

What do you guys generally look for on the pond to throw the slammers? Obviously weed and pad lines but do you huck them up shallow and where else

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm

edge of pads has been killing it for me lately. also ten feet away from pad edges and then I see the swell come from the pads and they come out and slam it. I been killing it lately with the 7" perch slammer.

I went to wrights pond in Medford today and decided to walk around the whole pond throwing nothing but a slammer. I got to the back side and cast parallel tight to pad edges. It gets slurped up but hardly a monster hit. It then takes off bending my heavy rod over. I could not believe how heavy and hard this fish was. Just like that my slammer comes out of its mouth as it was pulling me into pads. It was def no doubt the biggest bass I have hooked into yet. This thing was a monster. Happened so fast and I just stood there stunned. On the way out I caught a 3.5 with a giant belly. Missed a PB today and also the only fish I ever lost on a slammer.

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

biggz53

What do you guys generally look for on the pond to throw the slammers? Obviously weed and pad lines but do you huck them up shallow and where else

All of the above. It all depends on the mood of the fish. Like with any other bait, there are days the fish will crush it and come long distance to do so and be so active that splashing it down almost on top of a fish gets a savage reaction. There are other days that you have to "pull" them out of the cover with repeated casts and there are some days where the fish just wont commit to a moving bait. I throw mine in pads, along weedlines, near docks, downed trees, overhanging brush, moored boats. Anyplace where I feel a bass can be sitting in wait to ambush.

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm

stratos1966

biggz53

All of the above. It all depends on the mood of the fish. Like with any other bait, there are days the fish will crush it and come long distance to do so and be so active that splashing it down almost on top of a fish gets a savage reaction. There are other days that you have to "pull" them out of the cover with repeated casts and there are some days where the fish just wont commit to a moving bait. I throw mine in pads, along weedlines, near docks, downed trees, overhanging brush, moored boats. Anyplace where I feel a bass can be sitting in wait to ambush.

Thats why i really wanted the slammer! The versatility is great From deadsticking/twitching the surface to crankin it down.. and all between. Im excited to get on the water with it!

Posted Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 am

LOL and here i am thinking the large slammer was too big...

Caught around 8 dinks under 3lbs... Never ever thought these little ones would strike it.. The mouths of at least 5 of them barely could even engulf the tail!

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 am

Its amazing to see how big a meal a bass will try and eat

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 pm

stratos1966

Its amazing to see how big a meal a bass will try and eat

Yeah, I'd say that last pic sums that up pretty well!

Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 am

i can see a 7+ coming your way real soon.

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:36 am

I went out two days ago and got 3 bites.. A dink... a 4+? lost....and a miss.

Was out from 11:00ish till 6:30.

I love this bait and know it will catch some nice fish, but finding the retrieve for the day is hard since you dont get many bites to begin with. Guess i should of fished the 9" before the large.. Regardless im still keeping at it. Only way to really know how to fish it is being on the water.

Only thing i dont like about the large slammer is the wake. You need to retrieve it faster than excepted. Heard the 9" wakes better too.

I LOVE twitching/deadsticking on the surface! Seems like a deadly way to bring up some big fish deep or when there not chasing moving bait.

Im pretty sure my patience will pay off.. Might take along time.

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Here is a Sunday predawn swimbait hog caught by Canalrat

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

Nice!!

I really like that perch pattern..

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links