Been a longtime since I have bought any equipment

Wondering what you guys like for quality spinning reels?

Any help is appreciated

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't go too crazy on spinning gear. Last purchase was a couple of Shimano Ci4's. They've held up well and weigh in at 7oz.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 pm

I beat on them pretty good but I have used Quantum and Shimano for years. The higher end ones will give you years of good use. I usually stay under $200 so if you look at either brand you won't go wrong.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Shimano Ci4 and Ci4+

you can't go wrong with shimano's spinning reels. get them on ebay. you can usually find them for 20% off brand new and sealed in the box.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 pm

I only keep 2 spinning combos on my boat. A Stradic CI4 for mojo rigs and a Pflueger Supreme XT for wacky wormin.

love both of them.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Unless you need some of the specific features found in a higher end spinning reel, I would recommend the Shimano IX.

They are cheap & durable and they can take any line that you care to put on them.

I now own four of them and they serve me well.

You can get at Sports Authority and Bass pro.

Shimano IX Bass pro

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 pm

another shimano ci4 fan here. Love them!! If thats too rich for your blood the regular stradic or one down, the symetre. i would not go below that in terms of quality.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Im pairing up a ci4 with a dobyns champion extreme next week

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

kman

awesome.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm

samf

kman

awesome.

cha ching

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Purdy!!

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 pm

for bass fishin anyways i tend to not spend more than 50 bills on spinning reels , i got a abu garcia cardinal s that i have spooled with 8lb nanofil that only gets used for wacky rigs and i absolutely love it for a 30 dollar reel the drag is very smooth it has 6 berrings and it has cought me bass up to 5 lbs and even foul hooked an 8 lb carp with it once and the drag was nice and smooth and ended up landing me the fish. the other i use is abu garcia cardinal sx basically the slightly better version of the cardinal s also only cost about 40 dollars and i have it spooled up with 15lb power pro for throwing topwaters and again i love it for a cheap reel it has buttery smooth drag, i believe 8 berrings and holds up very well for a budget reel. both have been going strong since i bought them last season, the sx actually got dunked in quinsig for a half an hour when i accidently snagged it with a spoon and cast it over my head out into the lake and had to use said spoon to snag the rod and keep it from becoming a permanent addition to the bottom of the lake lol and it hasnt showed any signs of wear after i dried and re lubed it. both were bought at walmart . if you are trying to stay on the cheap/decent quality side these 2 reels cant be beat !

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

its baitcasting gear that eats up all my money not spinning lol. i try to spend a minimum of 100 bucks on a new baitcaster cause lower end casters usually are a nightmare to use.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Ya, since getting married my fishing and tackle buying has slowed...waaaaaay down.. lol

I never bought any of the cheaper end tackle equipment shortly after joining afew clubs 18 or so years ago and finding out that crap just didnt last..but I bought most of my good equipment over 10 years ago!! Loomis,custom,shimano,daiwa...with well over $3k in rods/reels..not sure I need another one,but just couldnt resist the kistler chuck was selling...Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Thanks for all the info guys..much appreciated!

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:00 am

i loved my quantum smoke spinning reel, sold it because i have way to much gear. but now i am getting another one. i loved it

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links