I'm a pretty serious buzzbaiter. I always have one tied on and will throw it in any conditions. This season I've been using a Wright and McGill Rick Clunn series cranking rod. It's a 6'8 heavy action rod. It handles buzzbaits up to a 1/2 ounce with no problem and has pretty good backbone for those far away hooksets. My problem is it's heavy. What rod are you using and how does it perform?

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 am

Mbr 843 glx. A great all around stick. Throw a Core 51mg7 on that sucker and you have sub 11 oz combo.
Let's book a trip. I have a bunch of different rods you can throw on a (lefty) reel. Different price points too.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 pm

You said rods...

For my topwater set-up as a whole for most of the year(buzz bait, popper, sammys, frogs, etc) I've been using is a 6' 9" Abu Veritas MH fast tip with a Abu Gen1 SX 7.1, 40lb braid. It's light, good backbone. It not too long. Also allows me to switch on the fly to pitching a craw/jig in cover. Although I haven't got into the quality of topwater fish you have this year, this set-up has managed pretty well for me. One of only a few rods that are not a Denali for me.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Shimano crucial 7'2" heavy fast. Its rated from a 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz. The smallest buzzbait I will throw is 1/2 so it's perfect for me and at $160, it won't break the bank. It can also double nicely as a DD crankbait rod and a flipping stick or a smaller SB rod. I.e. 7" slammers, smaller spros and mosr soft plastic swimbaits minus a few like the bigger hudds.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:09 pm

you never should've gotten me into buzzing. i'm all in now.

Dobyns Champion Rod 684CB 6'8" M MF handles my poppers, walking baits, and i used to throw the buzzbaits on it. it handles up to 3/8 oz. buzzbaits well and 1/2 oz. walking baits like spooks without a problem. i use 12 lb. Sufix Elite Mono on an Abu Garcia REVO Premier 6.4:1.

i believe this rod weighs 4.6 oz and the reel is 6.35 (Gen 2). so that's just under 11 oz. plus you factor in the balance you get with a dobyns.

it's also my jerkbait rod in the spring.

i thought you were using a lighter cranking rod for buzzbaits so i modeled my setup after yours. recently i've been going exclusively with a Powell Max Crankbait Rod 704 CB 7' M MF. the 7' is good for accuracy, casting distance, and gives a little more power when pulling them from the slop. powell is on the more powerful side so it's really more like a MH rod. it handles the 1/2 buzzers without a problem. same line and reel setup - 12 lb. Sufix Elite Mono on an Abu Garcia REVO Premier 6.4:1.

the rod also handles the other topwater baits easily too. it just needs less pull to get them to walk than the Dobyns setup.

Last edited by samf on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Sounds good Chuck. I really don't need the rod to be versatile. It'll have one job. Buzzin

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm

shawneramone

I really don't need the rod to be versatile. It'll have one job. Buzzin

I hear ya bud. As a Co-Angler, most of the time, I don't have a choice but to be versatile with most of my gear. Believe me you, when I finally have my own boat/rod locker, that won't be a problem so much.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm

shawneramone

Sounds good Chuck. I really don't need the rod to be versatile. It'll have one job. Buzzin

I would start by looking at 7'+ rods. The lighter the combo, the better. Your elbow and shoulder will thank you if you're going to buzz all day.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Shawn, I must warn you first. Until you get your hands on a nice light weight combo, you don't know what you're missing. Case in point: While fishing this past weekend at the Quabbin, we also swap rods and reels to see what works best for any specific technique. We also have casting contests. Sick combo for throwing 3/4 oz. football head jigs was a Nrx 854 paired with the new Metanium. Effortless to say the least. Now I'm screwed because those new Metaniums are sick. Good thing I did not touch either of the DC reels Sunday.

Last edited by chuckh on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm

I would normally say the Shimano crucial because most people want at least dual purpose (if not multi 3x, 4x, etc purpose) rods; but, just for buzzing, I think I prefer something a bit faster and heavier - although my point of comparison is an older crucial and the newer ones may be better, I dunno....yet!

If you can find one, the AllStar IM10X,#845 "Big Crank" 7 footer would be my choice for buzzbaits for the weight without compromising action and power. Castaway has a blank thats real close to this I think as well. Shorter if you tend to make short target casts. Less expensive blank as sensitivity is not as important here.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:24 pm

he has just entered the danger zone. he got a dobyns champion for cranking (4.9 oz) and paired it with a gen 3 abu garcia winch (6.9 oz). i have the same setup on one of the rods.

i'm hoping someone eventually comes out with a lighter reel with a that low gear ratio, big spool, solid drag, and torque the winch has for heavy duty pulling power.

i tried talking him into a champion extreme, crucial, or soemthing else in that high end range but no dice (loomis NRX was def. a no go). it's only a matter of time though haha

the new crucial are slightly stiffer in the tip section than the average rod (yes i said stiff tip). not sure if that's really preferred with a buzzbait or if you want more give when setting the hook like a crankbait? personal preference? i haven't used anything else so i'm used to having that give similar to cranks and other topwater baits so i don't rip it right out.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm

samf

he has just entered the danger zone. he got a dobyns champion for cranking (4.9 oz) and paired it with a gen 3 abu garcia winch (6.9 oz). i have the same setup on one of the rods.

i'm hoping someone eventually comes out with a lighter reel with a that low gear ratio, big spool, solid drag, and torque the winch has for heavy duty pulling power.

i tried talking him into a champion extreme, crucial, or soemthing else in that high end range but no dice (loomis NRX was def. a no go). it's only a matter of time though haha

the new crucial are slightly stiffer in the tip section than the average rod (yes i said stiff tip). not sure if that's really preferred with a buzzbait or if you want more give when setting the hook like a crankbait? personal preference? i haven't used anything else so i'm used to having that give similar to cranks and other topwater baits so i don't rip it right out.

Patience is a virtue here. I'd wait for a sale to get that one technique specific rod. I'm expecting one soon and will let you know once I hear.
Shawn, how is White Lightning for throwing the Buzz? You could always have another one built exactly the way you want.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Always on a my 6'6" MH spinning rod with a 30 size reel and 14lbs fireline. Rarely toss bigger than 1/4 oz prefer tri blades when possible. But that can vary based on cover thickness.

Last edited by creasekeeper on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Honestly, I like my Abu Garcia Vendetta and Veritas rods. Also really like my Daiwa T Rods. All are 7'. I know, low end stuff, but it works great for me, no complaints at all.

If you want light weight, Orvis H2 all the way...oh sorry, wrong sport.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

I use a custom St Croix 6'3" X-fast 1/4-5/8oz

I fish my topwaters tip-down so the rod doesnt end up in the water. I lose a little on the cast though.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links