Now do you guys reel it in as fast as you can all of the time or do you slow it down on occasion? Personally I let the fish dictate what they want that day, but have seen some people buzz it along as fast as possible all the time and others as slow as possible all the time. Just seeing who does what Very Happy

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Three casts. If I don't get bit, back in the rod locker. hahaha

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

LOL

i'm no expert but i assume they do sometimes want it reeled in as fast as possible similar to other baits. i'm pretty sure shawn's done the hyper speed buzzbait and caught them.

i've never done the super speed but i've done ok so far reeling as slowly as i can to keep it in the strike zone longer. especially in dirtier water. that's why i like the double blades. very easy to keep it on plane and go as slow as you can.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 pm

samf

he has just entered the danger zone. he got a dobyns champion for cranking (4.9 oz) and paired it with a gen 3 abu garcia winch (6.9 oz). i have the same setup on one of the rods.

i'm hoping someone eventually comes out with a lighter reel with a that low gear ratio, big spool, solid drag, and torque the winch has for heavy duty pulling power.

i tried talking him into a champion extreme, crucial, or soemthing else in that high end range but no dice (loomis NRX was def. a no go). it's only a matter of time though haha

the new crucial are slightly stiffer in the tip section than the average rod (yes i said stiff tip). not sure if that's really preferred with a buzzbait or if you want more give when setting the hook like a crankbait? personal preference? i haven't used anything else so i'm used to having that give similar to cranks and other topwater baits so i don't rip it right out.

I have the Lews BB1 on it. 7.1 ounces

I like the action of the crankbait rod. The slower reaction helps me

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 pm

chuckh

samf

he has just entered the danger zone. he got a dobyns champion for cranking (4.9 oz) and paired it with a gen 3 abu garcia winch (6.9 oz). i have the same setup on one of the rods.

i'm hoping someone eventually comes out with a lighter reel with a that low gear ratio, big spool, solid drag, and torque the winch has for heavy duty pulling power.

i tried talking him into a champion extreme, crucial, or soemthing else in that high end range but no dice (loomis NRX was def. a no go). it's only a matter of time though haha

the new crucial are slightly stiffer in the tip section than the average rod (yes i said stiff tip). not sure if that's really preferred with a buzzbait or if you want more give when setting the hook like a crankbait? personal preference? i haven't used anything else so i'm used to having that give similar to cranks and other topwater baits so i don't rip it right out.

Patience is a virtue here. I'd wait for a sale to get that one technique specific rod. I'm expecting one soon and will let you know once I hear.
Shawn, how is White Lightning for throwing the Buzz? You could always have another one built exactly the way you want.

I'm definitely not in a hurry to spend more money on another rod. Will Definitely wait for a sale or get a used one. White Lightning has only ever thrown a jig. I'm weird like that.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 pm

pocketfisherman

Now do you guys reel it in as fast as you can all of the time or do you slow it down on occasion? Personally I let the fish dictate what they want that day, but have seen some people buzz it along as fast as possible all the time and others as slow as possible all the time. Just seeing who does what Very Happy

I do everything but let it sink. I love the double blader cuz I can go so slow and it just goes plop plop plop WHAMMY!!!

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 pm

shawneramone

pocketfisherman

I do everything but let it sink. I love the double blader cuz I can go so slow and it just goes plop plop plop WHAMMY!!!

I agree with shawn on the doubles blades. I have more luck on buzzbaits when there barely making any commotion on the water. Even if it isn't a double as long as it has a blade that allows for a slow retrieve. Dont forget about changing up the retrieve while doing the normal... Sometimes just adding a twitch in the rod for a big slurp will entice followers or just random strikes. Or going from a fast retrieve to a dead stop, but not letting the buzz fall below the surface can work as well.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

I'll throw a buzzbait whenever the fish are hitting the surface for bait.
'
Im not picky about a rod though... A 7'0 or longer MH will work for me.

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

I toss it a ton and mix it up based on time of year temp and clarity. Usually pretty steady but when cooler or darker water just enough to roll the blades.

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Shawn, I've been using a wright &McGill skeet reese tessera topwater/jerkbait rod, and it works great for me

Posted Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links