Went to the res.today.Water is way up,flooded brush all over the shoreline.Caught 12 or 13 bass and 1 pick.We threw senkos,jigs,dropshot and spinnerbaits.Best bet was spinnerbait waked through the shallow brush.Best fish 3.7.Fished the usual best spots and all has changed.Can't see a lot of rocks unless on shore.Weeds thicker on east shore but not anywhere else.Should have stuck shallow all day but it was too late after we figured that out.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm

nice job. and only 1 pickerel is impressive. i've never been there but have been meaning to give it a try.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I haven't fished it yet this year since they rebuilt the dam. The water level is at least 4 feet higher than it was in recent years.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 pm

do they have a boat ramp

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 pm

I believe there is a small ramp for cartoppers/kayaks on the main rd. I launch at a grass lot around the corner, 100' path through the woods to the water. I've fished it a few times this year, some decent bass in there.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:46 pm

I believe there is a small ramp for cartoppers/kayaks on the main rd. I launch at a grass lot around the corner, 100' path through the woods to the water. I've fished it a few times this year, some decent bass in there.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 pm

knpc

I believe there is a small ramp for cartoppers/kayaks on the main rd.

On Pleasant St. there is an area where its possible to launch a cartopper, but there has always been a sign expressly forbidding the launching of boats from that location. There are also boulders to block the area and make it a little tougher. However, I drove by last Thursday and the sign was gone. I doubt it was officially removed so I imagine it will reappear soon. Regardless I've seen many a person launch small stuff from there. A few weeks back I caught a big boy in the weed-choked eastern reaches of the reservoir (see here http://www.mafishfinder.com/canton-reservoir-trip-1-7130-trip.html). At that time the sign was still there, but a guy launching a small 2 seater from the back of his pickup asked me if i wanted to join him. I can check back next time I drive by.

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:48 pm

I have fished there quite a few times and have never seen that sign.

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah, it was there on the shack that spans the spillway. But it was OLD and I don't see how they could ever enforce it since boating is obviously allowed, it is public water, with public access on Pleasant St.

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:05 pm

This is where I park, it's a public access with a grass lot for 20+ cars. Short walk to the water with an easy launch.

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Shoot, I never knew about this...Definitely have to check it out!

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 pm

The town officially took over in December, and sounds like they may have more changes planned.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/canton/2013/08/canton_to_look_at_regulating_newly_acquired_reservoir_pond.html

The sign that was formerly posted directed people to launch boats at the site mentioned above, guess they didn't want people launching right off the main road. Hence the boulders blocking the way. As others have said, never heard of any issues getting a boat in there though.

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Can you run gas there I have been in the canoe but never in my boat

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Residents do own pontoon and gas boats, but I've never seen a gas powered boat out there in my handful of visiits. And who knows what restrictions the town will be imposing now that they own it.

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links