I have gone crazy fishing this summer. I have had a lot of luck with largemouth, catching some of my biggest fish ever. I have been using mostly plastic worms and lizards. Other then an occasional small (under 12") smallmouth, I have had not luck finding them. I really would like to target them more. Any suggestions?

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 am

Go to the cape. Fish deep water and structure. Find bait suspending too.

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 am

Go to Wachusett for sunrise or sunset. Plenty of them taken in the last couple of weeks.

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 am

Ah WA WAAAAA, WA A Wachusett yes sa plenty of Trophies Smallies or the Horeshoe at the Q

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Sam, I'm on the cape. I have been to ponds I know have smallies such as Hamblins pond, mystic lake, shubael pond, and peters pond. I have caught a few, but all under 12". Looking for some advice on bait. Jig with trailers? Kinds, colors? Any suggestions?

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm

i personally like finesse baits like the tube and drop shot. blades are good if they're really deep and suspending. carolina rig as well. i usually stick with the standard colors - green pumpkin, watermelons etc.

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:37 pm

This year @ the Q, 1/2 oz football jigs with a spider grub fished deep has been my go to bait for 4+ smallies.

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I will never again have to say there's no fish in this lake worthy! !! Yesterday at 11:00 caught three heavies to the left of the boat rentals caught all on hula poppers color of frog. About 30ft from shore awesome fish nothin beats topwater.

Posted Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 pm

We have had a lot of luck with small mouths at the Ashland res... Use a diver they've been biting those not worms

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

I didn't know the ashland res had smallies.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am

Caught one Saturday
But on the side closer to Hopkinton
My sons caught 3
Nothing to brag about but not small

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am

My cousin also just told me she caught some on north pond
Idk though I rarely fish there

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:11 am

I've heard of them in north pond but never ash res will have to investigate love smallies live right down the street have fished there a fair amount of times have never caught one but also was targeting trout or larrys.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I stand corrected just looked it up. There is indeed smallies in there. Think I may give it a shot 2 night lol

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Finally......success! Didn't crush them tonight, but my wife and I each caught 1 smallmouth. She landed a 1 lb fish. Mine was a personal best. 17" and 3 lbs

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links