How successful are you fishing in the rain?
I do better than normal
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
I do about the same as normal
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
I do worse than normal
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
I get soaking wet and catch nothing
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

I've heard that fishing during, before, or right after the rain can really increase the bite.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Or more specifically any tips, strategies, or techniques for fishing during the rain?

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:13 pm

i love it - sucks to be out but i get real good results size and numbers
but it takes a real nutjob setting up the boat in the rain at 4 am
but hey ...

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm

i love fishing before a storm. i believe it turns fish on.

ive done good at my fav smallie pond in rain a couple hours before the nor easter hit

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 pm

The rain is your friend, dress for it and you will be rewarded, just not during a thunderstorm.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Rain still haven't proved to me it's worth going out. I'd rather just fish before or after... I give credit to anyone fishing plymouth right now. The rain is hectic!

I've had enough experience to say that SOMETIMES the rain will add to the aggression of the bass. Throwing baits like chatterbaits, spinners, or topwaters will produce some quality fish. Pretty much any baits that moves quickly/erratically will be effective.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I can't concentrate when it starts to rain so I don't catch much. But I can imagine that the rain would mask some noise from the boat/trolling motor and cover up some clumsiness from the lure.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:06 pm

I TOTALLY LOVED RAIN DAY!!! KNOW WHY? BECAUSE ITS KEEP ALL GOOGANS OUT OF POND/LAKE! ONLY SERIOUS HARDCORE FISHERMAN STAY THERE!

My catch rate remain same at rain or not. But at rain, you got more chance to catch bigger fish due to less pressure of fishermen. some day you will skunked and some day you will get on fire. like other normal days.

Also, this is better chance for catch trout if you ask me. because trout will cruise near shoreline that has tree over the water. trout are waiting for insect to fall from tree due to rain. (from my experiences, it is totally worked as hell for me.)

However, in other note, if there is cloudy day, MUST GO OUT FISHING! almost all of my monster fish was caught on cloudy days.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm

googans hahaha.

just went out in the rain and crushed em. buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, frog. walking the frog over grass mats and sparse weeds. didn't go through a single plastic.

with the wind and cloud over they won't be tight to cover. they were on the edges or roaming. they were aggressive for a good 5 hours but the thing that worked best was walking the frog. that's just what they wanted today.

the bite shut off after awhile b/c it started getting colder.

tips: cover water until you find the sweet spot and pound the area with different baits. search and reaction baits.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 pm

I was with Sam. We fished for about 7 1/2 hours in the rain. We're awesome.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

shawneramone

I was with Sam. We fished for about 7 1/2 hours in the rain. We're awesome.

And wet

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Welp. I went out for an hour and answered my own question. Between a chatterbait and a black and blue worm I got 6 bass. All of them between 1 and 2 pounds. I did however nail a 4 pounder Smile

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Love fishing in the rain!!! Always do well in it!

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Always do best right before the rain.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links