Yesterday afternoon my girlfriend and I took my 10' jon boat out on Louisa Lake in Milford. We were both using medium action spinning rods with 8# line to do some simple minnow and bobber fishing. I however did happen to bring my medium heavy baitcaster with #14 line. Anyay I hooked into a real hog who swam under the boat, cracked my rod, and broke the line on this pretty heavy setup for bass (the baitcaster).

My question for y'all: what's the best way to handle this situation in the future, whether from shore or a boat? I've lost too many big fish this year from shore/boat due to broken lines. I know a net is an obvious solution but I hardly ever use it since I'm mostly taking in dinks nowadays haha

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Loosen your drag so when a big fish surges he'll peel line instead of breaking you off.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Heavier rod and 65lb braid. Total Domination!!!

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm

you have to adjust your drag and use the rod to fight the fish.and braid wouldn't be a bad idea either

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 pm

1. Luck
2. Experience (it takes a few heart breaks before anyone is really ready)
3. Better tackle
4. A good net man

In that order.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 pm

I know how to play with drag and I have plenty of experience but in regards to wrangling the fish when he's within reach I always seem to have bad luck.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Really depends on what your fishing bait wise. Have an area to the boat thats your net area. Know the proper procedure so you can reach with outlooking to get the net and have it ready for either side. But if you like fishing braid nothing sounds as good as a bigun hitting the deck after a boat flip!

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:45 pm

When the fish is done fighting and comes to the top you will know.You really need to adjust your drag and not reel against it.When the fish wants to run let it.Unless your in heavy weeds.They can come up and make a run again and again.Heavier line,like braid,with a heavier set up will allow you to horse that fish out of anything and you won't have to worry about drag,you pull,reel and swing it in the boat.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

in my opinion heavy braid kinda takes the fun out of catching a big fish. i also think it's more fun (and more like the pros) to do it without a net. try and get the fish to the boat a fast as possible without letting it jump. when its at the boat play it out, without letting the line touch the boat or anything else. when the fish is sufficiently played reel until you have about 4-5 ft of line between the tip of the rod and the fish. bend down, lift the rod up and a little behind you ease her head just to the surface of the water and lip her. no better feeling period. ya.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:25 pm

definitely have to set the drag appropriately depending on what you're throwing and the line and rod. if you're using a heavy rod and braid, you don't have to worry about it as much.

i always the bring a net...treble hooks are bad news.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:44 pm

If your breaking off multiple big fish at the boat get your self a C@R net. Either that or play the fish more. You might be rushing those big ones to the boat to quick.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 pm

You hooked into "catfish hunter" that fish will never be caught! Laughing

Like people said, 65lb braid and heavy action, fast tip rod and boat flip the darn fish in! or the smarter fishermen use a net.

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 am

Unless your in a tourney no need to use tuna gear on a large mouth. Where I the fun in that?

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:33 am

fishermanmike

Unless your in a tourney no need to use tuna gear on a large mouth. Where I the fun in that?

Everyone has their own agenda.

If you wear a bass out you're are stressing them out. You could possibly kill them if you wear them out to the point they are exhausted. Get them in as quick as possible, take a pic, let'em go as quickly as possible.

Just my two cents

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

I have all light spinning rods, i find it easier to accurately cast.. always use braid 30-65lb and never wear the fish out.. gotta use the boat as a tool too.. if he's a lunker and goes under the boat.. release the bail and let him take a little line and turn the boat then yank him in.. always have a net.. My husband uses only bait casters (fast action) and heavier rods.. he always rips them across the water straight to the net.. they never have a chance to swim under the boat.. my 2cents

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links