Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 am

Nice job. I like the camera set up.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 am

Approval from the video master, I feel redeemed Very Happy

I have a crate behind the seat with vertical rod tubes at each corner. I took one of those extendable camera monopods (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z4YLAI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), wrapped a section of pool noodle around it and stuff it into a rod tube. I get about 2.5 hours from a battery so I carry three of them on a trip. I tried the head mounted camera but there's too much motion, I get seasick watching those videos, plus the head strap gave me a wicked headache.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 am

I have a similar type of setup. I don't use the crate on the new boat and haven't really filmed much. My monopod is an extension pole. I cut the top of a tripod off and screwed it onto the extension pole so I can still make camera adjustments. I wrapped it in pipe foam to make it floatable. I agree about the head cam. No matter how hard I try to keep it still the video is shaky

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 am

you said pole and pipe.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:47 am

Great stuff! I subscribed to your YouTube channel. Is that a GoPro camera that you are using?

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 am

Well done. Love the water skiing bluegill on the 1st hookset... Total Domination!! Like how you pause the video and add the word "Strike"

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks Rich, I'm still playing around with my approach. The bluegill was no match for my 6wt Laughing

chrokee, it is a GoPro Hero 2. Everything is shot in 720p. I'm thinking about adding a 2nd camera that will face me so I can splice in some reaction shots. Not sure my ugly mug is what people want to see, plus it will add a lot more time to post-production. All editing is done in iMovie.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 am

i have one of those. they're great and they produce really high quality HD video. the head strap is annoying to wear but you can get some good first person video.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 am

Good old Buckmaster - My ratio of Blue Gill to Bass there on the fly rod is a solid 50:1
You ever pick up any of the stocked rainbows on the fly there Bloo?

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am

Ha ha Dimes! I'm using a size 2 popper and I still get the overly aggressive blue gills, but mostly they can't get that big a hook in their mouths but they are always after it. I haven't yet pulled a trout on the fly (just started flyfishing again this year) but one of my friends did last month. I've pulled trout out of there on Kastmasters and a lot of folks use chartreuse PowerBait with success.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 am

you ever use any bigger bass flys like these. i never get any decent fish on the typical bass popper. i got these last winter and was going to use them on my steelhead rod this summer and havn't gotten to it yet. (thoughts?)

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:54 am

Not yet Mike. Top water's been very spotty for me this season. Those bugs look awesome though and I have an 8wt that could throw 'em.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

awesome set up... I was there 2 nites ago I was killing them right about where you wore. went threw a bag of blk/blu senkos in less then an hour. excellent vidio

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Ouch, those Senkos aren't exactly cheap. Yes, I think there is a weed edge that runs along there that the bass stack up along. I always seem to have success in that general area. I've also had success in the pads but for some reason they weren't taking the frog this day.

Posted Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links