i'm looking into a high quality crankbait rod to throw deep divers...the biggest i throw are 3/4 oz. baits like DT 16s and the Luck-E-Strike Freak.

anyone use the new cumaras? how's the bend / backbone? i was looking at the 7'6" Med Hvy / mod. fast specifically.

any other suggestions? i'm looking for a rod that can bomb a crank a mile. so 7'6" would be ideal.

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Rick clunn has a 7'8 deep diver I'm not sure how it is I have the 7 foot model and love it I believe Shawn has the 7'8 model an likes it he recommended it for me before I bought my crankbait rod oh by the way there on sale at Tackle ware house for 65 bucks

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 pm

The Rick Clunn 7'8 doesn't handle the DT16 very good. It's ideal in the 8-10 ft range I'm learning. I actually use my swimbait rod to throw the DT16's, 20's and XD10's

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Sam, if you're going to Cochituate this weekend, I have a couple of sticks you can check out. Hope you're a righty. Lol

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 pm

sweet thanks chuck. actually yes, on one of my cranking setups i reel with my right hand.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 am

I just got a crucial crank 7ft6 medium and I threw a molix sculpo on it this past weekend and it handled it ok, the sculpo is 3/4oz and dives to about 12ft. If you are looking to go deeper I would recommend the 7ft6MH. I know this is crucial vs cumara, but I would think they have similar characteristics.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:32 am

thanks man that's really helpful.

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am

Sam,
i just picked up a 1st Gen Black Cumara Reaction CUC70H. I'm using it primarily for square bills. i dont like real whippy rods and this one seems to handle everything from Square Bills to Wiggle Warts to DT-10's. i havent thrown anything that dives past 12' but i think it will be fine all the way thru DD-22's. If i can talk Dan into this weekend, i'll let you throw it around awhile in the AM.

Jay

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links