Anyone know any hot spots for bullhead on the South Shore? If there is such a thing, maybe they just happen, I don't know. I know a lot of people consider them trash fish but I've never caught anything close to a catfish and they seem easy enough to wrangle. I've heard chicken livers are the best bait for 'em and thankfully I work in the meat department of a supermarket so I have easy access to bait but not fish!

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:54 am

let the chicken sit in a cooler in the garage so it stinks up like s*** - also strawberries and hot dogs - dead shiners and so on - everything thats half rotten and on the ground - they show up

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 am

Whole livers or should I cut 'em up? Their mouths don't look terribly big.

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

I love catching bullheads.

I've had good luck catching them on Gulp Earthworms. I guess they stink like compost worms and they're convenient.

Also here's an informative video about bullhead fishing:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ub5NB2gm4&feature=share&list=PLFDC19B720DE38DE2[/youtube]

Good luck.

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Any specific spots anybody can point me to? I've heard of them in Norris Reservation in Norwell but that's about it.

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:17 pm

be honest to be told, almost all of ponds in south shore has bullheads but you never seen them. Just try it out. you will be surprise how many bullheads are in there.

One pond that is my favorite but never seen them for almost ten years and nobody caught them nor heard anyone catching them at all. So I tried at last month, only managed to get several of them. It wasn't that small. Broke my personal best three times this year. So, bottom line is that those three times that I have been bested my personal record at three different ponds. Therefore, it is anywhere. some place are hard to find them and some place are easy to find.

one of them is at your "trout icon" spot. Just for your information. (I tend to use nightclawers.)

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:37 pm

I've only targeted them once, and it was while I was Carp fishing with my main rod on the Concord river.

I set up a smaller rod with a salmon egg sized hook on it, and cast it along the shoreline 2 feet or so from the edge, 15-20 feet to my right. (I had/have no idea if they could see me on shore....they scramble everytime I first show up, so I figure they can see me up there.)

I put one piece of sweet corn on the hook, and in the one hour I tried it I got 5 bullhead, and 1 channel catfish, or white catfish. (I can't tell them apart...it's in my pics.)

The only reason I stopped is because the last one swallowed the hook so deep that after trying I had to cut the line and release it with the hook still in there. I didn't want to risk doing it again, so I turned my attention back to the Carp.

All 4 bodies of water I fish on a regular basis have them, so I think they are almost everywhere. Use the locations tab up top and check out the species list wherever you go.

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links