i need help with drop shottin smallies.

tryin to learn as much i can about the subject.

hows the vmc spin shot? or do i use a palomar knot?

i got a couple gulp baits cuz i read an article about using them on the drop shot for smallies.
no luck yet only a big perch

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Not a fan of those hooks. I find i miss hooksets for whatever reason. I like the size 1 split shot hooks by gamakatsu. Yes you tie a palomar knot. You go through the eye of the hook on the side where the bend and barb is 1st. That way when you cinch the knot down the hook is facing up and not down. Try 4" yamamoto cut tail worms. green pumpkin or watermelon

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Sam gave me some of those Gammy hooks. I like them. I don't drop shot much but one thing I've noticed is when it's a perch or sunfish you feel the bite and when it's a bass it just feels different...kinda heavy or something.

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Shawneramone - bingo. you are right about "feel bite" way different between perch and bass. Unfortunately, I catch alot perch than bass on this dropshot. Even used 5 inch senko to fish wacky style on dropshot. attracted more bass bites for me. But other than that, I am not good with it.

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm

then my bites were most likely perch

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:30 pm

daiichi standout hooks with a roboworm, small minnow type bait like the shad shape worm, or kut tails. these hooks keep the bait up in a natural position so it's not swining all over with the tail way up or down.

6 - 7 lb. test and a 1/4 - 3/8 oz weight. and fire up the electronics.

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links