I was told by the people at MassWilflife that to have a fish weighed in it has to be dead because it is illegal to transport live gamefish.

I just called some local places with weigh stations and the first one to answer was "T C's Sports Den" and the lady on the phone said "You know the fish has to be alive right?". I said yes even though I thought she may have been wrong and hung up confused.

Can anyone give me an answer on what condition the fish must be in for it to be weighed in?

If everyone els was right and it is dead can someone tell me what weigh stations they use when they do bring in a pinfish?

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 am

Nope, it is illegal if it was alive if police catch you. either you have choice, kill that fish on spot or get ticket. that is what police will tell you. However, I went several bait shops before I get my fish weight in. So I will know which shop allow me to keep fish alive and released back at same spot. Without any hassles. (I know it is illegal but I don't believe to kill them at all. Unless foul hooked or keep it for dinner, then i'll do it.)

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:46 pm

yeah IMO, it's better to forget the pin and release it if you can't go with catch and release after weighing it. several pictures would do the trick for me.

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Unless it's a snakehead!

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I let it swim free houuurs ago.

Snakeheads in massachusetts???

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:35 pm

My son caught a pin fish and we just weighed him/her, measured then a few pic's an released. Pins are like trophy's and collect dust but that fish will live to fight another day.

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Yup now that I know the rules wouldn't even bother memories and life of fish much more important.I don't need a trophy to know I've done well the fight tells me all I need.

Posted Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links