Looking for lures etc and a decent back up rod and reel for fishing off a boat. Let me know what you have.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 am

Depends on which lures you are prefer to use. Then buy rod that is specific with lures.

I tend to be jigging for stripers. So, wireline on penn senator 113 or 114 will do. Make sure you have roller on end of rod while regular eyes on rod. (reason is that wireline tend to be breaking on regular tip on rod if it don't have roller.) This set up can be used for trolling too.

Also, you got PM.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Go with. 7 ft medium heavy or medium. I have my new Tica 7 ft for sale for $45 cause I got a St. croix for Christmas. I have 3 7' rods lol.

I throw sluggos , deadly dicks , live pogies , buck tails, etc

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes, a 7' medium/heavy action rod is ideal, with anywhere from 15-30 lb. test line (20# at the most, ideally). You can go with a conventional or spinning reel (I currently use all spinning gear). Here is some good info on light tackle Striper fishing, as well as why a 7' rod is ideal. http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/2008/07/24/choosing-the-right-rod-for-light-tackle-stripers/

If you're on a boat, trolling with just tubes or the old tube-and-worm is pretty foolproof. Striper aren't that picky. They're actually pretty voracious. I have a bunch of different lures set aside for Stripers; Creek Chub Striper Strikers, Kastaway Bucktail Spoons, Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnows, Bomber Long a lures, Deadly Dicks are great! The name says it all.

A 1/4-1 oz. bucktail jig rigged with 4" pearl Berkley Gulp twirly tail mullet (or any other small softbait really) is a great set-up for both Striper & Flounder. Ideal for early season striper fishing and how I fished the Ogunquit River this past weekend. Hop the jig lightly over the bottom or swim it through the water column slow & steady. I picked up some Gulp Herring to try this year as well. We know they can't stay away from those herring, so I'm eager to see how it works at those times when nothing else is producing.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links