Hi There i am pretty new to fishing and I want advice on when to change fishing line. I have had the same line on now for over a year and had a brand new $9 Kastmaster fly right off on the first cast cause the line snapped.

Also, If I want to do some saltwater and mostly freshwater fishing (I have an ugly stick), what are some suggestions for line type (do i go with Braid)?

Thanks, much appreciated!!

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 1:25 pm

If it is mono I change it twice a Season. If it is copoly the same. Floro I usually get the whole Season out of and braid I use for two seasons before changing it. As I take it off the spool in Spring and back whined it so the unused part is now the part that will be used.

Definitely recommend line conditioner for in often used fishing line. And if the line broke on a cast like that inspect about 20ft of it for nicks an abrasions. Also check break strength with hands. Then decide if the line needs changing.
Good luck hope the helps a little.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Mono tends to degrade over time with exposure to air and light. Fluorocarbon is not affected by UV. Interesting article here

http://www.flyfishamerica.com/content/fluorocarbon-vs-nylon

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 5:38 pm

i usually change my mono about 3 times a season, fluoro gets switched out twice but usually due to wind knots and tangles i end up flyingthrew a spool in a couple months and need more, and braid i go 2 seasons unless its really frayed but i will do the same thing as mentioned above by respooling it backwards so the line that was closest to the spool will be the line now on the outside of the spool and the used stuff is wrapped tightly to the spool. it really depends on how much/where you fish and how you store your gear. i keep all my rods in my bedroom on a wall rack but the ones i use daily pretty much never leave my truck and those are the ones i change most often due to the fact they get used daily and are sitting in my truck usually somewhat exposed to the sun. also as stated above line conditioner really helps with mono and fluoro, i use the kvd line and lure stuff and its awsome! it provides uv protection as well as softening up line so its more managable so on mono it provides sun block and reduced memory and on fluoro it is a must use to avoid the eventual slinky that you will see on every cast. good luck

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Berkley Fireline or Yo-Zuri Hybrid (ultra soft) are my favs and use them both in fresh and salt. I change lines about twice a season unless they get some real fatigue, which is a good thing.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you for the tips. Very grateful to get good feedback so quickly. The bioline stuff sounds cool. Just took my son and daughter to ipswich river park, couple nibbles on a small white rooster tail and a joes fly but no fishies. Had some good luck last year there with bass and pickerel.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 pm

I have used P-line cx for 3-4 years (moss green).
In the begining of the 3rd season it needs to be changed.
I virtually never break off unless it my haste in horsing a fish or a toothy critter.
I still have my suffix siege braid going strong 2nd season too.
I might not fish as much as others but i definitely average 1 time week over the season.
I used to replace just for the sake of replacing,then i wanted to see the life span because re-spooling 14 rods can be pricey.
JMO

Posted Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

Did more research and went with the Bentley fire line. Had d nice day yesterday with a rainbow trout, a nice lm bass, and a catfish. Talk about variety! Thanks again!!

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 11:03 am

Yup, that "Bentley" is good stuff Very Happy

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 12:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links