Used to use mono all the time growing up, but few years ago I finally switched to braid, and I love it. Have yet to break off or lose a fish due to the line, stuff is nearly indestructible.

My braid of choice has been Spiderwire Stealth brain in moss green for the past few years, and I really like it. Went to Dick’s to grab another 150yds of it, but they were out of 20lb test Spiderwire Stealth. Damn. So I see 20lb PowerPro braid, and have heard everyone talking about it, so I figured I would give it a shot (a little cheaper too). Spooled it up, and have been using it for the past 2 weeks.

And....I cannot stand the stuff. Why? First of all, the backlashes/tanlges. Oh my god, I have never had so many line tanlges on a spinning setup in my life. It seems as if every other cast produces tangles and knots. My fishing behavior and baits haven’t changed, and it’s not extremely winding when I’m casting, and I still cannot figure out why the PowerPro tangles SO MUCH on a spinning reel.

The coating on the line also seems to wear off at a faster rate than Spiderwire, and the line is absorbing water much sooner than the Spiderwire had a tendency too.

The stuff is strong as hell, but I think I am going back to what has been proven for me in the Spiderwire Stealth, it was extremely rare for me to get spinning backlashes/tangles with the stuff and it just plain worked.

I am in no way bashing PowerPro braid or telling anyone to stay away; these are just my own experiences having used it for the past few weeks, and my personal preference is still the Spiderwire.

If anyone has any similar experiences or any idea why the line was tangling so much, I would love to hear them.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Sounds to me like you put it on wrong when taking it off of the spool. I have never had a wind knot or anything like you describe on any braid on a spinning reel.

I love power pro, but recently bought some 10lb sufix 832. That stuff is amazing.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm

blackgts2002

Sounds to me like you put it on wrong when taking it off of the spool. I have never had a wind knot or anything like you describe on any braid on a spinning reel.

I love power pro, but recently bought some 10lb sufix 832. That stuff is amazing.

Was spooled with a lot of tension, and used grip tape on the spool to prevent it from just sliding on the spool. This process has worked great for other braids, but this stuff is giving me fits.

Saw the Suffix, might give that a shot next.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I have suffix 832 on both my setups right now, unfortunetly I bought 30lb instead of 20lb so I can't give it a full review but it seems decent. The color fades out fairly fast, and the coating rubs off but it is works fine regardless. I had berkley crystal fireline on before that and it was a completely different line, I'm considering going back, I'm not sure why I like it better but I had better results.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm

ejoy

blackgts2002

Was spooled with a lot of tension, and used grip tape on the spool to prevent it from just sliding on the spool. This process has worked great for other braids, but this stuff is giving me fits.

Saw the Suffix, might give that a shot next.

did you use a spool tool, and if so was the line coming off of the top, or the bottom? It should come off of the bottom.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm

I've been using 10lbs test and 30lbs test power pro and have never had any issues with line looping off the spool, birds nests or backlashes. I love the power pro. I used to use fireline and like the power pro much better.

Now offtopic but still regarding line...I recently tried 12lbs yo-zuri hybrid flouro-mono. This was the worst backlashing line ever. So much friction coming off the spool during a cast. If you give any slack in the line, it will loop off and the line twists. I made sure to spool under tension and with the line coming off the spool counter clock wise, label up.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Fireline Crystal on my spinning setups in 10lb works great. PowerPro Super8Slick in 50 lb on several of my baitcast. Fireline Crystal 20lb on several other baitcast. No complaints about any of these uses.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm

bloomagoo

Fireline Crystal on my spinning setups in 10lb works great. PowerPro Super8Slick in 50 lb on several of my baitcast. Fireline Crystal 20lb on several other baitcast. No complaints about any of these uses.

Johnny got me into fireline crystal when i bought a quantum smoke setup that was spooled with it and i have to say i have respooled several of my reels with it.

But yea it sounds like what joe was saying but if you dont spool braid in the correct direction it will just spring off your reel or atleast i have witnessed it many times and the extra slack is probly whats causing the wind knots

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Power Pro and Sufix are my favorite braids and work without issue on spinning gear.
What lb test are you using?

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

It all depends on what weights you are throwing. if you use small weightless plastics like I do you will get knots. and powerpro knots are the hardest to get out. I have been going round and round with braid on spinning reels for over 10 years and I am back to square one with spiderwire. for all the suffix lovers the reason it is well liked is because it is thinner per lb test so appears to perform better. but it barely exceeds its rated strength.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 pm

johnyak

Power Pro and Sufix are my favorite braids and work without issue on spinning gear.
What lb test are you using?

I should have read your post...

I use 15lb PowerPro with a 6 to 8lb flouro leader for finese. Use at least 15' of leader or more depending on water depth if fishing weightless, the braid floates...

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

I have 30lb PP on one of my spinning reels and have not had any problems with it. I have however been cut off on a few occasions by pickerel, they have no problem slicing right through it Exclamation Laughing

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 am

Repost

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 am

If I am not mistaken... if spooled from the top then have your kid or friend take a walk and unspool the entire line...then you can simply reel it back on to eliminate the bird's nest's..it has worked for me in the past but it is a PIA!!

PJ

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 am

A little tip. " most" mid range and up spinning reels now a days come with an inline roller bering in the bail. With reels of this nature line should be spooled on as if it were a baitcaster. You do NOT lay the spool flat on the ground and spool up, you pull line straight off the spool as it spins. Stick a pencil in the spool and have someone hold the spool for you or buy one of the berkley spooling stations or buy one of the line storage boxes, they work great for this.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links