04/28, Wachusett Reservoir. I don't care much about the trout they are meat fish anyway. But the smallmouth, especially the large one, they don't taste good at all. Wachusett Res is not a place for bass meat fishing. The guy was lucky enough to catch four. It is legal to keep them. The under skilled fisherman sometimes can have an unbelievable luck which can cause some damage. (especially in smaller body of water) So, I don't talk about where I caught my fish. Bass meat fisherman is not my type. I also advice don't give out specific location where you catch your bass under the public view. You can PM each other for locations if you are trust each other.

Last edited by willy68 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Wow. thats definitely sucks! I loved smallmouth. I will never kill them at all. meat or whatever. I always released them back. they are too beautiful to be killed.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:22 pm

I admit, I am not 100%Catch/Release. Sometimes, a badly injured the bass float on the water, I have to take it home. I felt bad about the deep hook. Sometimes, I will take couple smallest bass home from a long distance fishing trip. Just bring something back to the family. Day in and day out, I don't keep bass.

deaffisherman

Wow. thats definitely sucks! I loved smallmouth. I will never kill them at all. meat or whatever. I always released them back. they are too beautiful to be killed.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, I surely understand that. I usually have plier that can cut metal. So, I can cut off the hook part so I can keep lure meanwhile let bass go without any harm. Because hook will dissolve itself. Most of that event was happened on treble hooks. Almost barely never happened when it was single hook. Everyone fished their own styles. They have their own skills to feel the fish bites. I tend to felt fish bites at right moment when they get their first bite. But anyway, that's make sense to me, bring home with dead fish that has no chance to live again.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 pm

I hate to see it too.

But, I'll play devils advocate. It's the fishermans right. If he pays for a license, he has the right to eat his catch.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I de-barb my worm hook at res. Sometimes it is inevitable to deep hook a fish,especially in the weeds, there is no feeling of the bite at all. For bank fishing, when I see a bass is bleeding, I usually put him on the string first and observe. If it keep its back straight after an hour, I will release it. If it lays side way barely move, I will take it home.

deaffisherman

Yeah, I surely understand that. I usually have plier that can cut metal. So, I can cut off the hook part so I can keep lure meanwhile let bass go without any harm. Because hook will dissolve itself. Most of that event was happened on treble hooks. Almost barely never happened when it was single hook. Everyone fished their own styles. They have their own skills to feel the fish bites. I tend to felt fish bites at right moment when they get their first bite. But anyway, that's make sense to me, bring home with dead fish that has no chance to live again.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Agree with your comment. I just vent. No soup for bass meat fisherman.

fishingnewengland

I hate to see it too.

But, I'll play devils advocate. It's the fishermans right. If he pays for a license, he has the right to eat his catch.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm

willy68

I de-barb my worm hook at res. Sometimes it is inevitable to deep hook a fish,especially in the weeds, there is no feeling of the bite at all. For bank fishing, when I see a bass is bleeding, I usually put him on the string first and observe. If it keep its back straight after an hour, I will release it. If it lays side way barely move, I will take it home.

Try one of these: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Squeeze-Out-Hook-Remover/product/10213376/

I was skeptical at first...then I tried it. I have not lost a bass since, this thing should be in everyone's tacklebox/boat, it seriously works that well!

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:46 pm

ejoy

willy68

Try one of these: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Squeeze-Out-Hook-Remover/product/10213376/

I was skeptical at first...then I tried it. I have not lost a bass since, this thing should be in everyone's tacklebox/boat, it seriously works that well!

how's it work?

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm

willy68

deaffisherman

lately at my local hole ive been catching so many largemouth on a daily basis that whenever i tie on a new hook i take my pliers and crush down the barb to not have to dig the hook out of a fishes mouth 15 times a day lol but im so used to not having barbs now that i may just stick with the habit cause i rarely lose a fish and the few times i do its because of either me trying to play the fish too much or just not keeping my rod bent enough threw the fight. i really believe its made me a better fisherman not having the barb there as an insurance policy, if i take the slightest bit of pressure off then i see a hook come flying at me lol so its challenged me to fish differently and i believe ive learned alot from fishing no barbs. now i dont eat fish at all but if i did and say i were going to catch fish to take home then i would keep the barbs for sake of not losing dinner and although i have once before taken lakers home for my bro in law i have never taken any fish home other than those 2 .i also like how little damage gets done to a fishes face with no barb as compared to using a barb. not sure if i will be crushing down my treble barbs just yet but as for single hooks im probably gonna try n go exclusively barb-less this season and see how it goes, i enjoy the challenge and the lower mortality rate

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

This is what I do: I have a long nose plier. I cut my line about six inch above the hook. I remove the plastic. I grab fish's mouth with the line in my hand. Give some tension to the line so I can see where the hook is located. I use the long nose plier pinch the hook point portion and pull the hook straight out. I don't like leave the hook in its throat. The carbon steel hook take forever to rust. I accidentally caught my worm with carbon steel hook on it. It has been in the lake for at least 6 month. The hook was like brand new. Leave a small hole on its esophagus is not a big deal.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 pm

willy68

This is what I do: I have a long nose plier. I cut my line about six inch above the hook. I remove the plastic. I grab fish's mouth with the line in my hand. Give some tension to the line so I can see where the hook is located. I use the long nose plier pinch the hook point portion and pull the hook straight out. I don't like leave the hook in its throat. The carbon steel hook take forever to rust. I accidentally caught my worm with carbon steel hook on it. It has been in the lake for at least 6 month. The hook was like brand new. Leave a small hole on its esophagus is not a big deal.

agree . i also use anti corrosive hooks with nickel plating or saltwater grade carbon steel hooks and i alsways carry a set of long nose heavy gauge wire cutters that will snip threw a superwire hook like butter. if the hook is taken too deeply i try to cut the hook in half so the half still attached to my line just pops out on its own and the other half if i cant manage to fish it out of there i just leave it and it will fall out on its own as long as i cut the hook at the bend. sucks cutting up your expensive hooks but its better than killing all the fish that you gut hook

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

on a side note i originally started carrying the cutters not to get a deeply taken hook out of a fish but because ive seen a guy fishing neer me hook himself in the leg with a heavy duty treble on a lure and he did more damage trying to pull it out then if he had just not messed with it so i figured if it ever hppens to me i can just snip the hook at the bend and pull the 2 halves out easily

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm

willy68

No soup for bass meat fisherman.

No soup one year.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

tate

willy68

No soup for bass meat fisherman.

No soup one year.

Lmao

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

MA Fish Finder