I am ready to take my 12 foot crawdad for its maiden voyage. I have a 55lb trolling motor for my means to get around. I live in New Bedford and I was looking for some safe areas to take my crawdad where it's not to rough,

I was going to try long pond this weekend, but it seems there are a lot of more larger boats with outboard motors. Would my crawdad be safe just trolling around the coast?

Any other ponds or lakes that I can safely go with my crawdad? I don't mind going as far out as 30-45mins away to make a good days fishing out of it.

Thanks

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 pm

I also live in New Bedford places like lake street in Acushnet Sasiquin ponds small but not bad and lake noquochoke parking on reed road should all be good choices

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 am

Cooks pond is right near you. It has Lm and SM. The size of the lake really doesn't matter. It's all about the weather/wind. I have been out in the OCEAN in a crawdad chasing blues, stripers and Albies off the RI coast. The boat traffic won't bother you. Anything over a 15-20mph wind and I would be cautious about heading out.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 am

thecableguy

I am ready to take my 12 foot crawdad for its maiden voyage. I have a 55lb trolling motor for my means to get around. I live in New Bedford and I was looking for some safe areas to take my crawdad where it's not to rough,

I was going to try long pond this weekend, but it seems there are a lot of more larger boats with outboard motors. Would my crawdad be safe just trolling around the coast?

Any other ponds or lakes that I can safely go with my crawdad? I don't mind going as far out as 30-45mins away to make a good days fishing out of it.

Thanks

Had a 12' Crawdad for the past 20 years, love that thing. Had twin 55lb trust electric motors on it and anchor mounts front and back, lot of modifications you can make on those little boats. Have taken it basically everywhere I can get boat access in all kinds of weather, you should be fine.

I too live in NB and am from the surrounding areas, there are many places to bring that. Might want to try looking at a few ponds in Lakeville as well.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

I also have a crawdad.Awsome boat! I have used it everywhere although, I will not go out in a large lake, Johns pond for instance, in the middle to drop shot as the WA-hoo activity will produce such turbulance you may capsize. Try wareham, agawam river right off of rte 28.

I have a trolling motor on the front and a 3.5 gas on the back. SWEET!

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Like stratos said cooks pond is great last spring had great success there on jerk baits

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Long pond may be risky with traffic in summer.Cooks in fall river is a good one.There are a lot of small ponds in Plymouth that are great for a crawdad.Wareham has Mill Pond and Glen Charlie.You can google a lot of towns in the area and see bodies of water.Then check Mass outdoors and look up the pond maps section.They are listed by town,and it gives the acreage,access,depths and fish populations.You have to watch for the big tourney ponds though.Too much traffic.Good luck with it,that's all I fished out of for 12 years and had a blast.Try some night fishing it's awesome.

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I was at Long Pond Sunday in the tournament and we almost got slammed by a MAFF boat passing us on the shore side when we where turning into a cove on the same side. The boat past us going at least 60 mph maybe even faster and we were traveling I thought fast at 30. You never know what to expect...

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 4:55 pm

johnyak

I was at Long Pond Sunday in the tournament and we almost got slammed by a MAFF boat passing us on the shore side when we where turning into a cove on the same side. The boat past us going at least 60 mph maybe even faster and we were traveling I thought fast at 30. You never know what to expect...

Hate that kind of stuff

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm

It scared the sh*t out of me. I witnessed another boat pull a bonehead more turning into a cove a full speed with an angler fishing the point of said cove...

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 5:40 pm

stratos1966

I have been out in the OCEAN in a crawdad chasing blues, stripers and Albies off the RI coast.

that just takes bat s*** crazy to a new level lmao! im all set going in the ocean in a plastic john boat even 50 feet from shore lol. too paranoid

Posted Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 pm

I use a 1 oz white bucktail jig for the WA-hooz. You know, the jet skiers that cant seem to leave us alone.... Got one at the nip a few years ago, bounced it off his machine from a hundred feet away. I carry rocks too and am not afraid to use em, JACK!

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 am

lol,

i think i am going to cooks pond. i didnt even know that existed. i looked at it on mass outdoors (thanks for the tip on that) and it has a nice little boat ramp, awesome.

i think i am going to stay away from long pond, i am not getting a good vibe.

thanks for all the tips. this is awesome, cant wait now. Very Happy

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 am

Any place with low to mod boat/jet ski and a place or two to duck out of big winds always worked for us back in the day.

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 4:39 pm

I have had my craw dad since 1986 and have a five hp merc on the back. You can bring it anywhere the boats very stable . I also use a 40 lb electric on the smaller ponds. I wish you the best with your boat. Best damn fishing boat ever made.

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links