Figured with the slightly warmer weather would give the bass a try(I fish for trout waiting for the water to warm an bass move in)Bass bite wasn't bad today caught 5 in an hr n half not bad for shore fishing this time of year.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I'd say that was pretty good. Congrats!!

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm

ive been killing them on wacky rigged senkos on a tiny 1/0 or 2/0 hook and lite line for the past couple weeks. havent got anything over 2 and a half pounds yet this year but considering the water is still relatively cold im not dissapointed.i find that if i take scissors and split the senko down the middle length wise it not only slows the fall by reducing mass but also wiggles much like a real crawler cause of how thin it is and as a result i get alot of bites, have yet to get more than 2 fish to hit a full unmodified senko yet since ice out

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Interesting modification. I love that you refer to 1/0 and 2/0 hooks as 'tiny". Very Happy

Badlarry, a nice day from the shore indeed.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm

This is the worst spring fishing I have experienced in a long time! To me, it seems that everything is running behind. As I stated before, the one thing that surprises me the most is I am not seeing any panfish in close to shore. Very unusual for this time of the year. These night time temps. have been running in the 30's and the water isn't making much progress as far as warming up goes. No real warming trend in sight either Exclamation

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm

That's what makes it all the more interesting and challenging. Clearly there are some bodies of water that are showing signs of life and there are some fisherfolk who are managing to find and catch fish. It seems to me that the key to success is knowing the body of water you are fishing, or at least having the skills to figure it out once you get there. But of course we all know that only takes a lifetime.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 pm

bloomagoo

Interesting modification. I love that you refer to 1/0 and 2/0 hooks as 'tiny". Very Happy

Badlarry, a nice day from the shore indeed.

lol well i mostly bass fish so a #6 trout hook is microscopic by my standards and i use alot of swimbaits that require a 5 to 6/0 hook to rig properly so to me 1 and 2/0 is kinda tiny haha. the only thing i can think of off the top of my head that i use such small hooks for is wacky worming

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Yeah, we noticed not too many panfish the last time out. I did manage to catch a sunny, crappie and perch on a squarebill while going for bass, but the panfish were noticeably missing all over the place.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 pm

pocketfisherman

Yeah, we noticed not too many panfish the last time out. I did manage to catch a sunny, crappie and perch on a squarebill while going for bass, but the panfish were noticeably missing all over the place.

where in the state are you guys fishing? im in worcester and all of the lakes and ponds ive been fishing have a ton of panfish swimming by shore, ive seen big schools of perch,crappies, and bluegills all feet from shore almost daily at 4 different spots i fish and even been seeing large schools of small largemouths in the 8 inch up to 2lb range swimming next to shore. not sure about the rest of the state but atleast in worcester the panfish are out in force

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm fishing the south shore. Water temp. where you are is probably a few degrees higher than around these parts. I fish the same ponds every year at this time and that is why I am noticing that things are off. It is all about the water temp. Exclamation Laughing

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 pm

i've fished north, south, east, and west. cold water, cold air. it's been different everywhere. just need to figure them out. reaction baits have worked best. they don't seem to be actively feeding at most places when i've been out so i had to get the reaction strike.

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

My last trip to Ponki on Saturday I noticed that the fish were on the feed. They all had good bellies on them. I still didn't notice any baitfish at the shore though.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 am

Last time i was at billington the panfish were everywhere

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 am

I was fishing a Senko texas style.Slow drag and pause off bottom. Didn't have so much as a nibble til I hit this one corner and that's were they where.All caught from same place and pretty shallow bout 3-4ft some very close to shore.No bruisers yet saw couple of rises but no pan fish cruising the shore.I fish near Framingham central mass.Last night was warm need a couple mild nights a long with bright spring sun bite should turn soon.I think they are starting to move to shallows though no sign of the smallies at the lake I fish but I've only fished it twice may just be in wrong place at wrong time for the smallies or they are just out to deep for me to reach them.Conflicted this time of year.would like some trout for the freezer but with the big bass on there way,nothing beats the sport n fight of bass fishing!

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm with you Don51, I know we fish a lot of the same areas and so far this year the fishing is way off.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:28 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links