Thinking about going to fish fir blue catfish. I never have befor so i was just seeing if anyone had any tips

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 am

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am

I've never been either so take this with a grain of salt but from what I've heard big sinkers and cut bait seem to do the trick for blue cats. Also, the only water I've heard of in the state with decent catfishing is the Chuck, but I haven't done a whole ton of research on it. Best of luck when ya go!

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am

strawberrie on a hook on the ground and they will be there - also dead shiners on the ground at night time -

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

Are there any blue cats in MA?

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm

guppy

Are there any blue cats in MA?

That was my question too. I thought we just had brown bullhead.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 pm

I doubt that there have a blue catfish in State of Massachusetts. However, we does have channel, white, and bullhead catfishes. Channel catfish is big catfish in this state. Channel catfish is little hard to catch for most of fisherman and they are only in several rivers. Meanwhile white is medium catfish. They are in several lakes and river too. But tad more easier to catch than channel catfish. Bullhead is small catfish that rarely grow to medium size like white catfish does. Bullhead is most common in this state.

But if you fishing at southern at where blue catfish lives. You can give your shot with cut shad, whole perch, whole sunfish or smelly bait to catch them. After all, you only need one of them to bite your hook.

Hopefully, this is answer to your question.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm

I heard that they are in lake cochituate but in the deep parts so i guess u would meed a canoe or boat

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:33 pm

yeah id love to hook into a nice big channel cat this year

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm

deaffisherman

I doubt that there have a blue catfish in State of Massachusetts. However, we does have channel, white, and bullhead catfishes. Channel catfish is big catfish in this state. Channel catfish is little hard to catch for most of fisherman and they are only in several rivers. Meanwhile white is medium catfish. They are in several lakes and river too. But tad more easier to catch than channel catfish. Bullhead is small catfish that rarely grow to medium size like white catfish does. Bullhead is most common in this state.

But if you fishing at southern at where blue catfish lives. You can give your shot with cut shad, whole perch, whole sunfish or smelly bait to catch them. After all, you only need one of them to bite your hook.

This is correct. Always wanted to do a trip down to Santee Cooper in SC for munsta Blues though:

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:41 pm

grayrider16

deaffisherman

This is correct. Always wanted to do a trip down to Santee Cooper in SC for munsta Blues though

If I were to take a fishing trip down south I would spend all my time going after Gator Gar's Smile

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Brooksy, you can catch them on spinnerbaits with bodies made of frayed rope on the St. Johns River. Their teeth get stuck. No hooks needed and most won't penetrate their jaws anyway.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 pm

grayrider16

Brooksy, you can catch them on spinnerbaits with bodies made of frayed rope on the St. Johns River. Their teeth get stuck. No hooks needed and most won't penetrate their jaws anyway.

Lol id be throwing big dead baits on 11/0 shark hooks. Try for a 6 footer Smile

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 pm

I actually caught couple of gar in New York. They are definitely there! One of my friend are fishing for them in June only. Idk why but he said, it is best month for Gar.

And yes, frayed rope is best proven for catch gar. but if you want a challenge, use the lure. even sharpest hook have half chance to penetrate their mouth. But they will work if Gar are ferocious after the lure.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 pm

deaffisherman

I actually caught couple of gar in New York. They are definitely there! One of my friend are fishing for them in June only. Idk why but he said, it is best month for Gar.

And yes, frayed rope is best proven for catch gar. but if you want a challenge, use the lure. even sharpest hook have half chance to penetrate their mouth. But they will work if Gar are ferocious after the lure.

what kind of gar did you catch in NY ??? ive read that before 1942 gator gars in specific populated waters as far up as maine until they were considered a national "nuisance" fish and ignorant people tryed to whipe out the whole species and now as far as i knew they were only found in the mid to southern states.a needle nose would be a cool surprise on the end of my line but id much rather bust out my big game rod and round reel in hopes of hooking into a monster gator gar! Smile

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links