wanted to hear some input on jerk baits for early spring. what size, colors you use? i only have some of the rapala husky jerk but looking to upgrade. there are some huge one's out there up to 1,2, 3 oz. not sure if they catch LMB's.

also..... swim jigs. good tool to have in the bag? how heavy? how do you fish em?

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm

I throw a fair amount of jerk-baits in spring.
You can go crazy and buy mega-bass, lucky craft ect.
Witch i do too.
But i throw large suspending jerkabaits in spring.
I throw the Smith-wick rogue Rapala and lucky craft too. Cheap but works great!

Colors:
black gold
Blue back /orange belly
Ghost minnow
& crazy bright colors

I haven't unlocked all secrets of jerk-baits by any means but i do like em.
Best method- buy em and try em Cool

Swim jigs - 1/4 & 3/8 oz
Just swimming a jig bud. Goes thru vegetation better. Put a swimming trailer of preference on back. You can swim them slow and drop em at weed edge s or holes.Then jig. Very useful tool.

Test em out bud and give me a shout if i can help anymore

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm hooked (LOL) on the Lucky Craft SP110's right now. Can't go wrong.

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 pm

fishingnewengland

I'm hooked (LOL) on the Lucky Craft SP110's right now. Can't go wrong.

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Lucky Craft makes a DD..forget the exact name but it dives to 6-8 and suspends...smallies and largies destroy em...100 or 110.

Best thing to do is try small, med, large baits - suspending and floating and to vary the retrieve. Find out which works. get some lead dots to really play with he lures action. I put large hooks on suspending baits to get em down deeper, if need be.

Great in early spring but also really effective on summer/fall...no one throws em in the summer and gives largies a look at something different. Any time crankbait works a jerkbait may as well.

I throw them on spinning gear as I get better action on them that way..just a preference.

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm

lucky craft makes theeee best jerkbait i have ever thrown i always have an sp tied on

Posted Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Lucky Craft Slender Pointer 127mr.

Posted Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am

Speaking of jerkbaits
I just bought these 2

Spro wicked perch
http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/SMCS-WP-1.jpg
Lucky craft ghost bluegill
http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/LCFP-148-1.jpg

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Always check the suspended baits to made sure they are holding at the correct depth. I notice a lot of them rise at rest. This time of year I like them motionless for as long as I leave it alone.

I have adjusted at least 1/2 of my jerkbaits by adding weight , change hooks to a larger size or add split rings to the center treble. Adding split rings gives the lure a little extra flash and rattle.

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links