So I have 3 shimano stradic spinning reels ( same year model) with the same exact issue. When the reel is under load from a lure there is a ticking noise when you reel it in. If the line is pinned to the reel itself or no line is on the spool the reel is silent when turning the handle. I 1st tried to argue that there is a defect in that years reel since what are the chances 1 guy would get 3 reels that would develop the same issue. I got nowhere with that. So I agreed to send them in for repair at a cost of $25 a piece. Sent all 3 in March, 3 weeks later I get them back. 2 seem to have been fixed but now when i try to free spool them the handle goes around only 3-4 times before it come to a stop and one is STILL ticking. So I go out and try one of the ones that was "fixed". 3rd or 4th cast the reel locks up solid and wont budge. I call them , explain the issue and I send all 3 back to them at their cost. I ask to be called when they are working on the reels so i can explain. NO call and I get the reels back 2 weeks later. They seemed to have repaired the one that was locked up. It's no longer locked up but still does not free spool like it used to before I sent it in. They explained to me that it is heavily greased and needs to be "broken in". Guess what the one that was still ticking...... IS STILL TICKING. So now i am on my 3rd attempt to get this reel repaired. I gave the guy my email addy to send me a shipping label. Do you think I got it? Its been 3 days and no label.
Luckily I have plenty of reels to use and I don't really "need" these reels to fish. Imagine the casual fisherman who only owned these reels and now 2.5 months later... no resolution.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 am

Told ya, I'm done with shimano.. Bought a brand new citica and a barely used 200e7 and they were both just junky.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 am

Can't speak for the higher end Stradic series, but I have 3 Shimano Sienna spinning reels in different sizes, and they have been absolute workhorses for the past few years with no issues. I expected some issues because they were so cheap, but none to report as of yet.

You would think a ~$200 range reel would be the bees knees, sounds like you might have got a bum lot? You would think them replacing the gear sets/etc inside the reel would resolve the issue...unless they're just greasing it and sending it back to you?

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 am

2-3 shimano low end (45$) reels work like a charm - sand mud beer - they have been thru a lot and never gave up

compared to the one ugly stick i bought and was so proud - 3 months later i had to change the reel cause it was trash

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 am

I'll add that these reels are 5 or 6 years old and have done well by me. I should expect to have to do some repair at some point. My beef is more with their repair service then the reels themselves.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 am

Their older stuff was fine but ever since the green series their mid range just isnt up to par. Abu's price point blows them away in my opinion now.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am

stratos1966

I'll add that these reels are 5 or 6 years old and have done well by me. I should expect to have to do some repair at some point. My beef is more with their repair service then the reels themselves.

Do you send them directly to Shimano or do they use a repair shop locally?

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am

Bucko's in Fall River is an authorized repair shop. I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and won't go back or do I recommend them Exclamation

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 pm

jcotier

Their older stuff was fine but ever since the green series their mid range just isnt up to par. Abu's price point blows them away in my opinion now.

Exactly! The dock talk I have been hearing for the last 2-3 years is that shimano has started using cheaper parts in their reels. The old stuff doesn't break, but people are now having issues with the newer models. Espically the curado line.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I've had good luck with BassPro reel repair.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

I bought an abu garcia stx last year and it's the best I've ever used.Casts loke a dream with no backlash whatsoever.Very smooth drag and adjustments.I have also had good luck with Quantum as far performance.The only thing I buy in Shimano is spinning reels.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

I have the Sustain 4000 SA and the White Shimano (both spinning) FJ2500... both are superb!!..

Man...that's bad MoJo you got going there!

PJ

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't use Shimano at all but that said maybe Neil is the way to go for fixing them up.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm

I know Neil is well-known here, but if you go elsewhere beyond the dealer or manufacturer... be sure you check-em-out. There's a few frauds out there (google "wicked reelz" for a rip-off example). It's one of the reasons I do my own maintenance & repairs for myself and family and friends. Only issue is you have to buy in quantity to make the purchase of parts worth it, so I now have enough 'repair and overhaul' inventory to last me beyond my years LOL.

If it was a baitcaster clicking like that I'd say it was probably the anti-reverse pawl (it needs to be properly aligned, and can even be removed if for fresh only). Being a spinning reel, i've seen issues with the handle/crank, but it would require a closer look I think to be sure.

I'm surprise with Shimano service. They've always been excellent with me - even with some very difficult to resolve user induced damage I was trying to fix, they offered free advice. I would email Bantam1 at Shimano he can probably assist (I cant remember his email addy: google "bantam1:shimano" might find it).

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm

don51

Bucko's in Fall River is an authorized repair shop. I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and won't go back or do I recommend them Exclamation

Don't get me started with Buckos. They charge an arm and leg for repairs and maintenance. I had a Shimano Symetre 4000 (a $90 reel) sent off for repairs. Came back and the total was $75 plus shipping. All they did was replace the crank gear and ball bearings on the bail. I could of used the $75 I spent towards a new reel.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links