All I did found this link from one of boat charters. I did copy and paste this information. Since I knew most of you guys want to know fact behind this banana situation. So, here you go.

"You probably won't find a more superstitious group of people than fishermen. Their present superstitious beliefs date back several centuries, with the banana boats of the Caribbean trade.

Many charter fishing boat crews have steadfast restrictions about bringing bananas on the boat. In fact, they'll return to the dock to purge the offending fruit. Some charters go so far as to prohibit Banana Boat brand sunscreen or Banana Republic brand clothes onboard. Fishermen have even been known to object to Fruit of the Loom underwear (one sport fisher claimed he's treated wearers to wedgies and then cut the labels out) Oddly enough, the Fruit of the Loom graphic doesn't even have a banana on it, and some say the banana was left off because of this very superstition

There are many theories on why people believe bananas are bad luck for a boat. One superstition is that boats carrying bananas don't catch fish. The origin of this belief dates back to the Caribbean trade of the 1700s. The wooden sailing boats of that time had to move quickly to deliver bananas before they spoiled, and fishermen had a hard time trolling for fish on such fast-moving boats, which is how the superstition came about. Another superstition that originated during that time is that bananas will cause a boat to sink. This belief developed after many boats never made it to their destinations, and all of the doomed boats were carrying bananas.

One thing we do know for sure; Try to bring a banana on a fishing boat, and you might find yourself waving goodbye at the dock".

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 pm

that's funny stuff. get the hell off my boat if you're gonna wear those fruit of the looms.

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:37 pm

This came up when I want for my captains lic the reason bananas are hated as back in the day the bananas were carrying spiders that would bite ppl make the. Sick on the return trip and they would die and be I then they associated the death of the ppl w the bananas

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links