So I got a hummingbird sonar over the weekend and I've never set one up before so the question I have is about power source. Do I have to buy some kind inline fuse box to solder into my power cord or can I just solder some alligator clips on and go directly to the battery? And I'm also wondering about dedicated batteries, I was told you can buy a seperate smaller battery just for the fish finder rather than connecting to the 12v trolling motor battery? Basically I hate soldering ( even though I can) and I hate trying to figure out how to wire fuses and such so what's my easiest option to get this thing powered up? Thanks

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm

you definitely want an inline fuse. Samf has a small battery he uses just for his ff. You should hit him up

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm

i do. this type of small battery will power it up all day long. i need to add an inline fuse though. i went all year without one last year but just got lucky.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/322329/GCBK

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Ok cool so now my questions are how big/ how much does thar battery weigh? Is it like brick sized? Also the fuze I need am I going to auto parts store or radio shack? I believe the instructions suggested either a 5 or 3 amp fuse can't remember exactly which but one of the two. I have some wiring experiance but limited to electric airsoft guns, I need to know which wire to solder the fuse to ( + or -) and what type/guage wire and clips to attach from the fuse to the battery

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

3 amp fuse. I'm pretty sure you can get them at an auto parts store. I'm not sure what gauge wire. It goes on the positive wire. I just twisted the wires and electrical taped them and never had a problem.

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

i have a 778c HD finder...it says an inline 3 amp fuse with 18 gauge wire. i'm not sure of the best place to buy one but let me know if you do. i would assume any auto parts store or even a radio shack. i plan on just using butt connectors and crimping.

the battery is smaller than a brick and weighs 3 lbs maybe?? you can find one of those on amazon easily and they're very cheap.

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I bought the inline fuse holder on amazon for like 3 bucks

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:23 pm

how many amps? send me the link.

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm

This is the one I got. Dan said it was a little too much. I guess the wire was pretty thick or something but it'll work. I think. LOL He used one he already had. I plan on using one on my other boat though
http://www.amazon.com/In-line-ACT-Water-resistant-Fuse-Holder/dp/B0002KR88A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363040976&

Last edited by shawneramone on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 pm

k thanks for the input guys i was having a hard time finding this info elsewhere. anyone else with any little useful tidbits please feel free to add on. thanks

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm

also sam great idea with the butt connectors i didnt think of that and it will save me some time and annoyance not having to solder wires together Smile

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 pm

You can get those batteries from a regular battery supply, electric supply, i think even home depot they are used for emergency lights in stores and such.

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm

bobpuge

You can get those batteries from a regular battery supply, electric supply, i think even home depot they are used for emergency lights in stores and such.

also good to know. i work maintenance for a highschool and saw a bunch of similar looking batteries in back storage that are spares for the emergency lighting, ill see what the specs are and compare them to sams battery and if they mach up ill see where we buy them from. awsome guys thanks for all the info this is really helping me pop my boating cherry lol

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Ok so I went to home depot and got a battery its 12v 7 amp hours which is exactly what they sell on hummingbird website and I paid 30 bucks, then went to radio shack and got a rainproof inline chip fuse holder and some 3 amp fuses as well as some butt connectors and female connector ends. After about 15 minutes of Work and about 42 dollars total I have my hummingbird up and running Smile I already had a 12 volt battery charger so I'm all set to go now.ill have pictures posted in a minute I just wanna thank all who contributed to this thread, you guys really helped a lot!

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

awesome work. i was going to say...they definitely have everything at radio shack. put the pictures up. i also need to buy a crimping tool and will probably get the combo - crimp / strip / cut.

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links