So as we slowly creep towards open water, do people use the same line they finished the season up with and just condition it and head out or just replace it?

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm

I have the same braid from last season still spooled on 3 different reels but as for mono and fluoro hell no! It got changed 2 weeks ago and probably again once all the ice officially melts

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Depends if your using braid vs mono/fluro/copolymer.

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

basically if its braid you can leave it on your reel (provided its not all chewed up and frayed from last season) if its anything but braid id definately change it cause even with copious amounts of quality line conditioner sprayed on it you will still be casting a slinky especially in the case of fluoro the stuff is a nightmare when left on a small to medium diameter spool for too long.

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm

lunkerhunter2366

In my case fluoro

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm

biggz53

lunkerhunter2366

In my case fluoro

definately change it. mono you can sometimes get away with if your not too picky but fluoro is so much stiffer it has alot of memery and needs to be changed out often. example: i have my jig rod spooled with 15lb vicious fluoro i spray kvd line and lure on it every night before i go fishing so its dry the next day, ill get about a month maybe a little more out of it before it gets aggrevatingly unmanageable and i throw it out (or keep it for leader material) and respool and start process over. fluoro is awsome stuff but surely its a finicky beast

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 pm

bassinbrooksy

biggz53

lunkerhunter2366

In my case fluoro

definately change it. mono you can sometimes get away with if your not too picky but fluoro is so much stiffer it has alot of memery and needs to be changed out often. example: i have my jig rod spooled with 15lb vicious fluoro i spray kvd line and lure on it every night before i go fishing so its dry the next day, ill get about a month maybe a little more out of it before it gets aggrevatingly unmanageable and i throw it out (or keep it for leader material) and respool and start process over. fluoro is awsome stuff but surely its a finicky beast

I got you. Fishing fluoro after buying and spooling with out line conditioner is an absolute b*tch

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 pm

i hated fluoro when i first tried it lol. i bought 10lb trilene 100% fluoro and it was like fishing with stainless wire! i then gave fluoro another chance when i saw how cheap the vicious fluoro was at walmart so i grabbed some 10 and 15 and it was much better and more manageable then the trilene but still a b**** until i stumbeled across a single bottle of kvd line and lure at dicks and my life was forever changed Smile i love fluoro now lol kvd spray rocks my world! works great on mono also and ive sprayed it on braid a few times with no major noticeable difference but its also got a uv preotectant in it so if nothing else it will atleast keep your line from degrading from too much sun contact. try it you will fall in love

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 pm

you think vicious is that good? i honestly just use braid with all my gear except for when deep cranking only to give that fish a little stretch so it wont pull free from the hooks but even when drop shoting i use 6 pound suffix 832 with a 6 pound floro leader im hate the memory and how easy it twists!!

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 pm

basshunter93

you think vicious is that good? i honestly just use braid with all my gear except for when deep cranking only to give that fish a little stretch so it wont pull free from the hooks but even when drop shoting i use 6 pound suffix 832 with a 6 pound floro leader im hate the memory and how easy it twists!!

honestly... no.. lol BUT i do like it much better than trilene fluoro and the price is right so ive stuck with it and have no real issues with it. id love to try a higher end fluoro like tatsu but im not willing to spend the money to find out. im like you though i use braid on everything except for my jig rod and for wacky worms those are the only 2 fluoro setups i use

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm

really? i feel like i dont get a good enough hook set when i use anything but braid when jigging i feel like i have to set the hook like bill dance and almost fall out of the seat when setting the hook with floro or mono but i understand when through a worm

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

basshunter93

really? i feel like i dont get a good enough hook set when i use anything but braid when jigging i feel like i have to set the hook like bill dance and almost fall out of the seat when setting the hook with floro or mono but i understand when through a worm

Well keep in mind I'm not finnesse jigging I'm power jiggin lol. 7 foot medium heavy baitcast rod with 15 lb fluoro so I set the hook like anything else and have no issues. When I'm jigging around heavy slop though I use 50 lb power pro cause I hate losing jigs and hate losing fish even more lol. When wacky rigging I use either 8 or 10lb fluoro depending on where I'm fishing, I keep a spare spool with one or the other on me so I can switch over if necessary

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 am

I start the season off with fresh mono and fluoro. As stated, if the braid isn't too beat up it stays on. Another thing, when spooling fresh flouro or mono on a spinning real keep it about 1/8" below the spool lip. Nothing worse than having new line on and having half the spool come off on the first cast Exclamation Twisted Evil

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 am

yea that really sucks when over spooled!

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 am

only my braid but my flouro gets changed every few months

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links