This is my attempt at makeing over a 1993 Shimano Bantam Curado formally known as "BLOODBATH". This reel was used and abused since I bought it new in 1993. She was 20 years old and still working but, not very well. I could only cast it abouyt 25 yards and I had to use heavy crankbaits or spinnerbaits to accomlplish that. I took her apart, cleaned her up, replaced the 2 main berings and gave her a new coat of paint. She runs like she is brand new now, casts as far as my newer curados and she looks real purty now too. here are some before and after shots.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

like it

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Awesome work Rich! What is the paint you used it looks almost textured in the photos.
I just redid one of my Quantums and chose to polish the aluminium side plate and only paint certain parts. Figured I'd share a couple pics since reading your post is like torture to all snowbound fisherman!!!

Photo 1 is the rebuilt next to my still stock one, they both have BPS carbon handles, just one is lefty and one righty

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Love the paint job.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

nice work. what did you use to clean off the old paint?

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Is the color eggshell?

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Damon, Its Krylon Fusion spray paint. Its specifically designed for painting plastic. Its not textured its an off white with black spritzed over it then sprayed with Krysal Clear. Your reels came out great as well.

Sam: no need to strip off old paint. I took a fine steel wool to the plastic to dull the finish and give the new paint something to grab onto.

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Looks great Rich..........Although paint does not catch fish......people do Twisted Evil

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Nice job Rich, it takes a lot of work to paint a reel and everytime you paint one you find ways to make the process easier and more efficient. Nice work, ill be posting pictures of the 3 Abu's I'm painting on Thursday

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links