Been using the Rapala brand mostly, but can never get to exactly suspend, either slightly rise or sink no matter how much I tweak them. Tried the new KVD strike king jerk bait and hated it, it ran odd and would surface.

Wondering if any experiences with the McClelland Spro Mcstick, Lucky Craft or Megabass... All are more expensive but willing to try if they suspend and run true. Any experiences??

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 am

They will all catch fish, however I do think the higher end baits preform better. I like Lucky Craft and Megabass . Are they worth what they cost...No.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:58 am

I've been beaten by someone throwing the high end stuff and I refuse to pay for them so I live with it I'm not that much of a jerkbaiter but have had some success with it later in the year.Maybe I'll break down and buy one to see if it helps after ice-out...lol

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 am

dhutch

Been using the Rapala brand mostly, but can never get to exactly suspend, either slightly rise or sink no matter how much I tweak them. Tried the new KVD strike king jerk bait and hated it, it ran odd and would surface.

Wondering if any experiences with the McClelland Spro Mcstick, Lucky Craft or Megabass... All are more expensive but willing to try if they suspend and run true. Any experiences??

Have you experimented With suspend dots? Two usually does the trick for me

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am

Did you buy the suspends dots locally? I want to get some for my cranks and always forget to add them to my cart when I'm shopping online

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 am

SPRO makes a great one got a few last fall nailed the bass out on CT

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:41 am

shawneramone

Did you buy the suspends dots locally? I want to get some for my cranks and always forget to add them to my cart when I'm shopping online

I've seen suspend dots at Walmart in Hanover!
Never thought of using tem but what the hell ill give them a shot

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 am

I got them online but Most places tackle shops have them. I'm pretty sure bps does not sure about dicks

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 am

I am a lucky craft and megabass guy too. Won't fish anything else. years ago i took all my cheaper Jerkbaits the threw them away and went out and bought the higher end baits. They perform excellent, have superior hooks and finishes, cast better and flatout outfish the cheaper baits.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am

i don't like the cheap stuff either. a lot of them don't suspend in colder water so then you have to do all that modifying. i like LC but can't get myself to buy Megabass. LC is too expensive as it is. but you don't need too many in my opinion. just get 1 or 2 colors to cover the different depth zones based on where you're fishing and the water clarity. it will save you money for sure.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks guys. Sounds like I am behind on the jerk-bait learning curve, sounds like you've experienced a performance difference. So a couple in the box may be worth it. Just didn't want to spend the money and have the same results.

Didn't know about the dots, just been adding rings to the hook eyes and changing hook sizes to tweak the ones i have... but when they sink not much to do except downsize a hook.. which I prefer to not do. Or when they suspend in a semi-vertical angle

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

I've been doing really well with lucky craft and spro jerkbaits. I seem to do better on the spro in really cold water, and the lucky craft pointer usually works better when water temp reaches 50 or higher. even the more expensive jerkbaits usually need some tweaking to get them to suspend perfectly. A slow sink usually works fine in cold water and will help you get the bait down an extra 1' or 2' after a few pauses.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am

twitch13

I've been beaten by someone throwing the high end stuff and I refuse to pay for them so I live with it I'm not that much of a jerkbaiter but have had some success with it later in the year.Maybe I'll break down and buy one to see if it helps after ice-out...lol

Just buy a couple of the 128 LC used on BBC Al they are better baits.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

Observation/ question about the suspend dots. they are made from lead. Can we assume they are illegal to use in mass?

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

never assume anything it makes and ass out of you

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links