Just throwing this out there since you never know...

Does anyone have any sort of connection to get a good deal on a Toyota Tacoma? I'm looking around now. The Honda cartopper setup is sweet and all but I'd rather have a truck. Neil, you sponsored yet???

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Sam if you looking for a mid size check out the Nissan too, you get alot of truck for the money. Good luck.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm

thanks guys

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 pm

Sam,

I know storage is a problem for you. Just throwing this out there.
Have you looked at Harbor freight tools? They have a 4x8 utility trailer that folds in half. Its about $300 & doesn't take up alot of space when your not using it.

If not, then the Nissan frontier is also a good choice for a mid size pick up.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm

thanks evan. i have looked at those but a truck would just be that much better overall for hauling all the stuff. plus, i can dump the entire thing in the back, load a bunch of stuff in, then carry it out and not have to deal with a trailer. we'll see though.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am

Definitely go with the truck Sam - it will make your life so much easier. Plus if you sneak into certain places, the trailer won't give you away when you find a stealthy parking spot. I used to tow my aircraft carrier (nowhere near as nice a setup as yours - had no idea what I was doing when I built it) behind a Nissan maxima so I know where you are coming from. I towed that thing all the way to Florida Laughing

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am

Ditch the boat, get a kayak Laughing

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am

haha good call. i'd give kayak fishing a try but it's not really my style. i have to be able to bring a ton of stuff and fish bigger deep water places. the kayak would be in addition to the boat and would also be easy to dump in the back.

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

joe, i'm guessing a 4 cylinder wouldn't be a wise move even if i don't plan on towing a big boat for awhile?

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Sam my car is a 4 cylinder. It's rated to tow up to 1500 pounds

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:17 pm

A four banger taco will easily be able to tow a small boat like a cartopper. Also one thing to keep in mind in the v6 taco gets about the same mpg as my v8 tundra. Which is not good. My wife has a fj cruiser with the same engine as thw taco and it gets about 15 mpg on average. So if yoy dont need the extra power get a four banger

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

well, i sucked it up and got an insane deal on a v6 today. i'll just put it on 2wd on flat, dry roads. i'm still unsure how i got the price i did but i'm ready to rock. new boat, new truck.

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Congrats Sam! Good luck with the new ride.

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Making it happen Sam - congrats! Maybe you can pass on some best practices to me on negotiation - as soon as my Jeep shits the bed I'm going truck shopping. I just hit 150k so it could be this year.

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links