I'm looking for a good fishing magazine.I currently subcribe to On The Water but would like somthing geared more toward freashwater fishing any suggestions?

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 am

My 2 favs in order are bass master and in fisherman. Bass master is a great mag

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

Bass Master for me as well, great little welcome package comes with subscription as well, plus you become a member of B.A.S.S. which gives you the option to compete in B.A.S.S. tournaments

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 am

same with FLW which also has a good magazine. so BASS and FLW.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

In Fisherman to me is one of the best out there. I have learned a ton from that Mag. over the years. They put science into fishing and not only explain where to fish but why which I think is the key in learning.
I always found bassmasters and FLW giant ad books pushing their sponsors stuff and a majority of the tactics they talk about are for use on resevoirs down south and don't alway translate up here in the north on natural lakes.
In Fisherman is based out of Minnisota and they have a lot of the same type of lakes we do here.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm

stratos1966

In Fisherman to me is one of the best out there. I have learned a ton from that Mag. over the years. They put science into fishing and not only explain where to fish but why which I think is the key in learning.
I always found bassmasters and FLW giant ad books pushing their sponsors stuff and a majority of the tactics they talk about are for use on resevoirs down south and don't alway translate up here in the north on natural lakes.
In Fisherman is based out of Minnisota and they have a lot of the same type of lakes we do here.

Just got a year subscription for christmas from my girlfriends mother. Patiently waiting for the first issue to come.......

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 pm

I've cancelled and then re subscribed to Bassmaster a couple of times. The last time I cancelled because I started reading an article on topwaters and realized I had read it before. Plus like Rich says they do seem to be more about huge reservoirs. I really like when I read an article about a technique or tactic and then have success applying it. I'll have to check out infisherman because I do like to know why the fish are doing what they're doing. My favorite part of Bassmaster is day on the lake

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

shawneramone

I've cancelled and then re subscribed to Bassmaster a couple of times.

Same here.

I find that Bassmaster is also a Spam machine. Whether it's phone calls pushing crap, emails, DVDs in the mail or some other tactic.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mag but feel they can be a little pushy.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

If you are into the tourney scene then BM may be for you. Myself I prefer In-Fisherman, more info about fishing instead of what is going on with the tourney's Exclamation

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Quick story on 2 cases where In Fisherman articles helped me catch fish here in NE.

I had a tourney in April on a body of water that had a river connected to it coming up. In the March issue of In Fisherman Al Linder ( the Linders are no longer with In Fisherman) talked about what to look for in early spring prespawn. One thing he mentioned is that contrary to what people think, moving water ( rivers) can be warmer then stagnet water. He went on to explain not to fish directly in the current but find small sections of still water along the moving water. Well I was one of only 3 boats to go up the river and fish that day and the only 3 boats that caught fish that day in early April were the 3 boats in the river. I did exactly what the article said to do and it worked perfectly. I was culling while 3/4 of my club got shut out that day.
In another example I read an article about how bass will use certian structures to migrate to the coves and pockets to spawn, It was another early April tournie and the bass were not yet on the beds. I searched out the structure mentioned in the article and ended up with a win while about 1/2 the club struggled.
I contributed both days good results to reading those articles in In Fisherman because before I had read that info, I did not know to do that.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

stratos1966

Quick story on 2 cases where In Fisherman articles helped me catch fish here in NE.

I had a tourney in April on a body of water that had a river connected to it coming up. In the March issue of In Fisherman Al Linder ( the Linders are no longer with In Fisherman) talked about what to look for in early spring prespawn. One thing he mentioned is that contrary to what people think, moving water ( rivers) can be warmer then stagnet water. He went on to explain not to fish directly in the current but find small sections of still water along the moving water. Well I was one of only 3 boats to go up the river and fish that day and the only 3 boats that caught fish that day in early April were the 3 boats in the river. I did exactly what the article said to do and it worked perfectly. I was culling while 3/4 of my club got shut out that day.

In another example I read an article about how bass will use certian structures to migrate to the coves and pockets to spawn, It was another early April tournie and the bass were not yet on the beds. I searched out the structure mentioned in the article and ended up with a win while about 1/2 the club struggled.
I contributed both days good results to reading those articles in In Fisherman because before I had read that info, I did not know to do that.

Good Advice!

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm

This isn't a joke. The very first thing I remember using that I read about first was a Texas rigged worm. Man I was stoked. I killed it. Then I didn't learn another technique for about 12 years. Lol thanks to youse guys

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

pjpjr

I'm looking for a good fishing magazine.I currently subcribe to On The Water but would like somthing geared more toward freashwater fishing any suggestions?

Since you already get get On The Water, other multi species mags I like is In Fisherman and North American Fishing club.

Bassmaster does send you a lot of crap, so does North American fishing club. But if you get Bass Times, published by the same people you don't get all the BS from bassmaster.

Aaron Martens, Randy Howell, and Brent Chapman just launched their magazine this month. Free online issue at bassquestmagazine.com good stuff there. But only 4 issues a year.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Should have mentioned that FLW magazine is my favorite. Always great stuff in that one.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm

shawneramone

This isn't a joke. The very first thing I remember using that I read about first was a Texas rigged worm. Man I was stoked. I killed it. Then I didn't learn another technique for about 12 years. Lol thanks to youse guys

Same here, all senko all the time.

I remember begging my parents at like 10-11 years old to get me the banjo miinow because of the infomercials. I had no idea what I was dong back then so it never worked, but Id be curious on how it would work with my understanding of it now. I know they still sell them too.

My entire Saturday and Sunday mornings growing up was dedicated to fishing shows, Bill Dance, Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston you name it I watched it.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links