I decided that I want to purchase a rod just for frogging and punching this year. I'm not looking at going high end for the Rod, something middle of the road would be good.

I was thinking something like the Bass Pro Bionic Blades Rod. Right now they have a 7'6 Heavy/Fast one on clearance for $70. The lure rating on these are 3/4 - 2oz. Is that too heavy for a Frog?

I would probably be pairing this with a Revo STX.

Any other suggestions for something decent but within a reasonable price range ( < $100) ?

thanks

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

You could definitly use that as a starter rod. A punch rod is going to be a bit heavier then that but that rod will definitly work. It's fine for frogging too. I personally like to frog with a spinning rod.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

stratos1966

You could definitly use that as a starter rod. A punch rod is going to be a bit heavier then that but that rod will definitly work. It's fine for frogging too. I personally like to frog with a spinning rod.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'm looking to compromise a bit.

Do you think it would make sense to move up to something that's extra heavy?

Being that it was rated to 2oz I figured it would be OK for most punching applications. But maybe I need something with more of a backbone.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 pm

jjbagoose

stratos1966

Thanks for the info, I guess I'm looking to compromise a bit.

Do you think it would make sense to move up to something that's extra heavy?

Being that it was rated to 2oz I figured it would be OK for most punching applications. But maybe I need something with more of a backbone.

I would. Go on tacklewarehouse and then browse technique specific, then punching, then rods. Look at the specs on the rods. I know most quality rod builders have separate models for frogging and punching with a punching rod being up one level in heaviness( Is that a word? lol). Having said that the rod you picked is a good starting point. You can get a rod that will do the job well enough and you are not shelling out big $$$. Once you get hooked on these techniques, and you will, you can reinvest in a better set up.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

i dont go punchin cause ive yet to find a spot thick enough that requires a punch rig but as for froggin and flippin i use the same stick ,reel and line for both. i bought a field and stream tech spec 7' 6" med heavy extra fast tip flippin stick, its collapsable to fit in a standard size rod locker and cost me about 65 bucks at dicks. its a relatively cheap rod considering the st croix that i originally wanted but could not afford but its gotten the job done for me just fine. i run that rod with a lews speed spool 6.4.1 and 50 lb power pro super slick i use this for froggin and if im goin flippin and pitchin i just replace frog with jig or tungsten bullet and trokar hook lol. i agree with stratos though about going on tackle wharehouse and searching threw the technique specific section just to get an idea on the weights ,sizes and actions of each rod to give you an idea of what you are looking for cause some companies call a flippin stick a flippin stick, some call a froggin stick a froggin stick while others will just tell you the specs and its up to you to figure out the power and action you need.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm

unless your punching thick ass grass like in florida, heavy is PLENTY for around here. That rod sounds perfect. Just watch your drag

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 pm

budwick

unless your punching thick ass grass like in florida, heavy is PLENTY for around here. That rod sounds perfect. Just watch your drag

I respectfully disagree. When I initially started punching, I was using that very rod. What i said holds true. It will get the job done but it is not the right rod for the job. I used that rod my 1st year because 1. I was new to the technique and not sure I would like it. 2. Was not sure how much punching water exsisted.
Well I loved the technique and the following year I was given a true punch rod to use...... there is a substantial difference. Do you pay for that difference? Absolutly. Thats why i told him it's a good starting point. I punch on about a dozen different lakes and rivers and I am glad I have the rod I do. The stuff I am punching requires it. If you are punching and cathing 1-2 lb bass no problem. the day you set the hook on a 5-7lb bass your going to wish you had more rod.

This is a post made with the utmost respect. No harmful words were said or implied. I simply disagree.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:09 pm

bassinbrooksy

i dont go punchin cause ive yet to find a spot thick enough that requires a punch rig but as for froggin and flippin i use the same stick ,reel and line for both. i bought a field and stream tech spec 7' 6" med heavy extra fast tip flippin stick, its collapsable to fit in a standard size rod locker and cost me about 65 bucks at dicks. its a relatively cheap rod considering the st croix that i originally wanted but could not afford but its gotten the job done for me just fine. i run that rod with a lews speed spool 6.4.1 and 50 lb power pro super slick i use this for froggin and if im goin flippin and pitchin i just replace frog with jig or tungsten bullet and trokar hook lol. i agree with stratos though about going on tackle wharehouse and searching threw the technique specific section just to get an idea on the weights ,sizes and actions of each rod to give you an idea of what you are looking for cause some companies call a flippin stick a flippin stick, some call a froggin stick a froggin stick while others will just tell you the specs and its up to you to figure out the power and action you need.

I punch with an XHeavy, Ill tell you where to go to find some extra thick stuff, head down the Nashua River and find the Water Chestnuts, Last year I had (2) 1.5 oz Tungstens on Back to Back and sometimes I still couldnt punch through, Super Thick

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm

sinista

bassinbrooksy

OOoooh I'm intrigued. Tell me more.. hows boat access? Too weedy for trollin? Is there potential for big bass or is it punchin just for sake of punchin? If its good fishing there I may have to buy a new rod reel setup and some miller punch weights

I punch with an XHeavy, Ill tell you where to go to find some extra thick stuff, head down the Nashua River and find the Water Chestnuts, Last year I had (2) 1.5 oz Tungstens on Back to Back and sometimes I still couldnt punch through, Super Thick

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm

bassinbrooksy

sinista

bassinbrooksy

OOoooh I'm intrigued. Tell me more.. hows boat access? Too weedy for trollin? Is there potential for big bass or is it punchin just for sake of punchin? If its good fishing there I may have to buy a new rod reel setup and some miller punch weights

We have had an event there the last two years, those miller punch weights are junk ( well I don't like em) yes there are big girls in there but tough to find there is at least a 1/2 mile of water chestnuts to punch a little difficult to narrow down where exactly they will be, I thinly I have a photo of it if I can find it ill post it

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 pm

sinista

bassinbrooksy

sinista

bassinbrooksy

We have had an event there the last two years, those miller punch weights are junk ( well I don't like em) yes there are big girls in there but tough to find there is at least a 1/2 mile of water chestnuts to punch a little difficult to narrow down
where exactly they will be, I thinly I have a photo of it if I can find it ill post it

Are they junk? I thought they would work nice cause of how pointy they are, like a spike. As for lots of matt to.punch that's fine by me part of the fun is finding the fish as long as the potential to find a pig is there to make all the effort worthwhile. Id love to go

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

sinista

bassinbrooksy

Me too Neil. This is my rod. It's a St Croix Legend Tournament series. Total Domination in the mats.

TBC73XHF Big Jig 7'3" XH Fast 1 17 - 30 1 - 2 1/2 5.2 3 $ 280

It can be found here: http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/legend-tournament-bass

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm

stratos1966

sinista

bassinbrooksy

Me too Neil. This is my rod. It's a St Croix Legend Tournament series. Total Domination in the mats.

TBC73XHF Big Jig 7'3" XH Fast 1 17 - 30 1 - 2 1/2 5.2 3 $ 280

It can be found here: http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/legend-tournament-
bass

Oooh I smell a summertime girls day out in the making Wink wink wink lol

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Looks like I may be getting a punch rig with my taxes to go along with my first boat purchase Smile

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

go big when punching. XH rod for sure. powell makaes some good punching rods. i have a 7'9" XH.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links