this may be a stupid ass question but im curious. does anyone know if i buy an xh punch rod if i will be able to use the same rod to throw 8" huddelstons? there are a few larry places around that ive read have stocked trout that i would like to try n throw some hudds at but i dont want to buy a new setup just to throw that one bait and i probably plan on getting a punching setup with my tax money anyways so Neil can possibly show me these thick matted punch spots he speaks of Wink

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

there are mats all over but the chestnut he's talking about is in the nashua river. there's also a ton in the charles.

depends on the lure weight and rod rating. there are some rods rated for 5-8 oz. baits which is overkill for punching but some that would be ok for small swimbaits but probably can't handle a 5 oz. bait.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 pm

You don't want to throw swimbaits on a fast or extra fast tapered rod.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 pm

jbigun

Ok. Too much stress at the tip when casting such a heavy bait?

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 pm

samf

go big when punching. XH rod for sure. powell makaes some good punching rods. i have a 7'9" XH.

Great replies here guys, thanks for all the info/opinions.

So now I'm leaning more towards getting an XH, seems like that would work well for frogging too.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

stratos1966

You could definitly use that as a starter rod. A punch rod is going to be a bit heavier then that but that rod will definitly work. It's fine for frogging too. I personally like to frog with a spinning rod.

Hey Rich - which rod do you use for froggin?

I may have a custom spinning rod made just for froggin, 7ft heavy with fast tip but kinda pricey.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 am

tommyboy

stratos1966

You could definitly use that as a starter rod. A punch rod is going to be a bit heavier then that but that rod will definitly work. It's fine for frogging too. I personally like to frog with a spinning rod.

I may have a custom spinning rod made just for froggin, 7ft heavy with fast tip but kinda pricey.

Tommy I have an "old school" 6'6" heavy Falcon I bought from NBS 15 years ago. It doubles as my frog rod and my carolina rig rod. I also C-rig with spinning gear. Up until a couple years ago BPS made a 6'6" heavy bionic blade. I have one of those too as a 2nd rod to do the same frogging and c-rigging.

I also have a 3rd rod. It too was a 6'6" falcon but It broke 3" down from the tip. I added a new top guide and now I have a 6'3" extra heavy. I use this frog rod for massive pad fields or other weed beds. ones where long casts are needed to cover the entire area. I want as stiff a rod ( yes i said stiff rod) as possible to haul the fish out from sometimes 30-40 yards away through the thick stuff. I set hard and keep em coming on 65lb braid. I like the longer, relatively softer rods mentioned earlier in this post for smaller weed beds and skipping trees and bushes.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am

bassinbrooksy

jbigun

Ok. Too much stress at the tip when casting such a heavy bait?

Check this review. I have the 7'11 MH with a telescoping handle. I throw swimbaits and frogs with it. There are 6 different rods in the series.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokuma711mhsb.html

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

stratos1966

tommyboy

stratos1966

Tommy I have an "old school" 6'6" heavy Falcon I bought from NBS 15 years ago. It doubles as my frog rod and my carolina rig rod. I also C-rig with spinning gear. Up until a couple years ago BPS made a 6'6" heavy bionic blade. I have one of those too as a 2nd rod to do the same frogging and c-rigging.

I also have a 3rd rod. It too was a 6'6" falcon but It broke 3" down from the tip. I added a new top guide and now I have a 6'3" extra heavy. I use this frog rod for massive pad fields or other weed beds. ones where long casts are needed to cover the entire area. I want as stiff a rod ( yes i said stiff rod) as possible to haul the fish out from sometimes 30-40 yards away through the thick stuff. I set hard and keep em coming on 65lb braid. I like the longer, relatively softer rods mentioned earlier in this post for smaller weed beds and skipping trees and bushes.

Dam how about the readers digest version next time.

Thanks Rich. I'll probably end up with the custom rod. I want a 7fter in spinning for froggin. I can walk the dog with the spinning outfit but not in the casting style. My right hand is better at "snapping"

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 am

Tom do you know Al Cappy? He makes a great rod and can build you anything you like.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 am

tommyboy

stratos1966

tommyboy

stratos1966

Dam how about the readers digest version next time.

Thanks Rich. I'll probably end up with the custom rod. I want a 7fter in spinning for froggin. I can walk the dog with the spinning outfit but not in the casting style. My right hand is better at "snapping"

That's what she said

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

Stop trying to obviously add points, making up for your lackluster effort yesterday

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 am

I can't pass up on you being a good snapper

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am

shawneramone

Tommy is the snapper, Im more of a tugger

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 am

stratos1966

shawneramone

Tommy is the snapper, Im more of a tugger

I see. Those multiple quotes start to confuse me. As long as everybody has a favorite technique and is willing to share. I'm a puller

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links