So I may end up setting up a punching combo when I get money, I've been looking at the ardent f700 reel for quite some time and figured maybe I finally have an excuse to buy one. I'm not too keen on ardents other products but this reel is designed for flipping from the ground up. I've read mixed reviews and was wondering if anyone has any experiance with it. Ardent f700 yay or nay?

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

if you're going to be punching you need a lot of drag. a lot of guys will say shimano, for the drag i say abu garcia revo stx. it's never failed on me when locked down.

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 pm

this reel is factory set ( non adjustable) locked out at 22 lbs. sound like enough? lol

Posted Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm

i'm unfamiliar with ardent but some reels are rated for a certain drag but really aren't. or the drag just ends up sucking and wearing out quickly. just something to keep in mind.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 am

bassinbrooksy

this reel is factory set ( non adjustable) locked out at 22 lbs. sound like enough? lol

I run two of them, one with 60lb braid and the other with 20lb floro. I love punching with these reels. Very Happy

I've never seen my drag move, locked solid.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 am

tommyboy

bassinbrooksy

I run two of them, one with 60lb braid and the other with 20lb floro. I love punching with these reels. Very Happy

any other useful info on this reel? hows the profile is it comfy to palm? does it feel smooth? i know it dosent have a level wind but also has a small cpacity spool just for short line casts, has this ever posed as a problem ? i just want as much first hand info as possible before i buy a 170 technique specific reel.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

bassinbrooksy

tommyboy

bassinbrooksy

any other useful info on this reel? hows the profile is it comfy to palm? does it feel smooth? i know it dosent have a level wind but also has a small cpacity spool just for short line casts, has this ever posed as a problem ? i just want as much first hand info as possible before i buy a 170 technique specific reel.

Whats comfy to me may not be comfy to you. My mitts are the size of a catchers mitt. I've never had a problem with my reels. I like that it has the small spool, easier to re-spool. Buy one you'll like it.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm

[quote="tommyboy"]
bassinbrooksy

tommyboy

bassinbrooksy

cool so looks like ill be grabbing a boat and a punch rig in march when taxes are in Wink if i like the reel i may end up getting a second one for my flippin stick and run my speed spool on a different rod setup just for froggin

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 pm

2 words... shi mano

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm

stratos1966

2 words... shi mano

4 words . Which one and why ?

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm

bassinbrooksy

stratos1966

2 words... shi mano

4 words . Which one and why ?

2 more words. How much ?

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 pm

4 words, 2 numbers and a symbol:Curado 7:1 Quality quality quality

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 pm

stratos1966

4 words, 2 numbers and a symbol:Curado 7:1 Quality quality quality

Really 7.1 ? Why high speed vs high torque?

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

You want them clearing the cover FAST, the biguns anyway. If they get the chance to turn on you.... you're done. with 7:1 3 cranks of the handle and they are in the boat

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Never had a problem hauling in big fish with mine and it aint a shimano. Very Happy

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links