The rod does most of the work getting them in the boat. The high speed reel allows you to make more flips/pitches throughout the day.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

ok so my next question is a curado only has 11 lbs of drag vs ardents 22 lbs and if heavy drag is so important when punching then why pick a reel so low on the spectrum when compared to my first choice?

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 pm

are you using it for multiple techniques or just punching? i dunno if 11 lbs. of drag will work out well punching. if you can deal with the small spool, grab an ardent. or you can go on ebay and grab a gen. 3 abu garcia revo STX for $150 and free shipping. it will settle all of the problems for you - drag, speed, multiple techniques, good sized spool, light, very low profile.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

samf

are you using it for multiple techniques or just punching? i dunno if 11 lbs. of drag will work out well punching. if you can deal with the small spool, grab an ardent. or you can go on ebay and grab a gen. 3 abu garcia revo STX for $150 and free shipping. it will settle all of the problems for you - drag, speed, multiple techniques, good sized spool, light, very low profile.

im setting up a punch specific combo so small spool dosent bother me one bit and i already have a flipping combo setup so this would only be used to punch matts , nothing else

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

@ tommyboy another question i have for you is about the spool, is it a wiffle spool or solid? reason i ask is a spool with such a small capacity i would hope has a few holes in it to tie braid directly to the spool without any backing .

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm

tommyboy

Never had a problem hauling in big fish with mine and it aint a shimano. Very Happy

Nope not saying yours is not great. just giving the kid options

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

jbigun

The rod does most of the work getting them in the boat. The high speed reel allows you to make more flips/pitches throughout the day.

bigun is right about this. i should have mentioned it as well. More flips = more fish. Also I have used 2 curados for punching over the past 5 years. the first 4 was with a curado dhsv and last year I went to the 200E in a perfect world you would get the 300ej. I have never had a problem with the drag slipping on my curado dhsv. I have three 200e's and one of them is having a drag issue but it's not my punch reel , it's my jig reel.

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

stratos1966

jbigun

bigun is right about this. i should have mentioned it as well. More flips = more fish. Also I have used 2 curados for punching over the past 5 years. the first 4 was with a curado dhsv and last year I went to the 200E in a perfect world you would get the 300ej. I have never had a problem with the drag slipping on my curado dhsv. I have three 200e's and one of them is having a drag issue but it's not my punch reel , it's my jig reel.

You said rod

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 am

stratos1966

2 words... shi mano

X2 Shimano rules

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:43 am

bassinbrooksy

@ tommyboy another question i have for you is about the spool, is it a wiffle spool or solid? reason i ask is a spool with such a small capacity i would hope has a few holes in it to tie braid directly to the spool without any backing .

Dammm I don't remember!! I think its solid if I remember correctly. It holds plenty of line, you don't need much line for pitchin and flipping. That's what drew me to the reel along with the heavy drag and the feel. I also like how I can thumb the spool as I pitch. If you look at the design of the spool my thumb hits the outside of the spool because its narrow, more control when pitching. As far as needing a higher gear ratio to get more casts? Well I suppose but I think there are so many factors on the water that affect how many cast/flipps,pitches that I'm not worried about that. More flips more fish? I suppose because your covering more water but sometimes that can backfire. My style of pitching and flipping is slower than most but it really hasn't hurt me at all. If your in the Franklin area your more than welcome to take a look at mine and see what you think.

Like others stated, make sure you get a decent rod. The rod is where it's at. There's nothing like hauling a 6+ lb bass outa the middle of a sunken tree.

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 am

tommyboy

bassinbrooksy

Dammm I don't remember!! I think its solid if I remember correctly. It holds plenty of line, you don't need much line for pitchin and flipping. That's what drew me to the reel along with the heavy drag and the feel. I also like how I can thumb the spool as I pitch. If you look at the design of the spool my thumb hits the outside of the spool because its narrow, more control when pitching. As far as needing a higher gear ratio to get more casts? Well I suppose but I think there are so many factors on the water that affect how many cast/flipps,pitches that I'm not worried about that. More flips more fish? I suppose because your covering more water but sometimes that can backfire. My style of pitching and flipping is slower than most but it really hasn't hurt me at all. If your in the Franklin area your more than welcome to take a look at mine and see what you think.

Like others stated, make sure you get a decent rod. The rod is where it's at. There's nothing like hauling a 6+ lb bass outa the middle of a sunken tree.

i saw that how the edges of the spool are raised it looks nice but the pics ive seen dont show if the spool is wiffle or not, i know not much line needed for flippin but id hate to have to add mono backing and waste a couple yards worth of spool space just like to get as much braid on there as possible cause i figure every knot you tie takes a little line off the spool. as for more flips equaling more fish i understand and agree with this but im not planning on using this reel for flipping per se im using it for punching which im assuming is going to be more tedious per cast than standard flipping pitching cause im going threw matts not threw holes in matts. ive been researching rods within the price range that i will be able to afford and im thinking either a kistler micro magic 7' 6" xh , or a powell 7' 6" mag heavy .
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kistler_Micro_Magnesium_TS_Casting_Rods/descpage-KMMG.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powell_Max_Flipping_Rods/descpage-PFLR.html

any opinions on these specific rods?

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Overthinking it man. Most people pitch when they punch mats. Not many people technically flip anymore these days but use the term flippin' loosely. The Ardent will work fine for punching mats with braid...if you like the reel go for it. That 7'6" Mag Powell will get the job done too.

Last edited by jbigun on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

you should put just a little bit of backing on anyways. don't let the spool dictate your purchase. powell makes great rods. a little more powerful than the average rod. one MH is really like a MH/H. They're light but can be a little tip heavy b/c of the extra power. still, i own a lot of powell. great warranty.

same thing with kistler but the other end of the spectrum...they're "wimpy" compared to the average. amazing service and warranty but honestly, i wouldn't get one for the heavy artillery.

for that price point and power / tip, get yourself a dobyn's savvy series. you can even get micro guides on that model.

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 pm

I was looking at dobyns but don't wanna spend 200 + on a rod ill only be able to use a couple times a month.

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 pm

$160 for a savvy series without a sale. use it for traditional pitching and frogging too even.

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links