Jig, worm, tube with rattle attachment/insert, I honestly don't see a difference with or without. I believe scent makes a pretty big difference in cold water condition.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 pm

willy68

Jig, worm, tube with rattle attachment/insert, I honestly don't see a difference with or without. I believe scent makes a pretty big difference in cold water condition.

I have been looking to try out rattles for awhile on all my baits however to date have not tried them on anything. I do alright when I am out there so I dont see it making a HUGE difference, but when it comes to tourney fishing I can see trying to get any edge possible. Whose to say the rattles dont scare the fish off? Same logic that on some days silent cranks work better than rattling cranks. I think it has to do with confidence as well. One good day with rattles for me may change my whole perspective on things I suppose.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:22 pm

I like rattles but I agree with you guys. I do just as good with a jig either way. One place I think a rattle can make or break is cranking. One day at Oldham they wouldn't hit anything with a rattle but killed the silent KVD square bill.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm

I can see how they may work, but they just haven't done anything for me personally. I can take them or leave them. Confused

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Great question although personally i can't comment too much on the topic, but i do believe rattles in baits have there place and time... Theres probably a good amount of factors that play in to whether rattles are helping or hurting like the body clarity, depth, their mood, and so on. That's just my two cents.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I do love throwin a rattle on jigs though.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm

One thing that you guys don't realize is that wether you have a rattle or not in the bait you are throwing is that the bait will still make a distinctive noise when you slow it down, or speed it up. Just the gurgle noise will create a rattle in itself, from the water flow over the bait. I, for one have noticed over the years that the speed of the bait will definatly create strikes. Have you ever heard the noise that a live minnow makes when going thru the water ????? .....Burn it ....they will hit it.....Just my opinion

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I will not throw a jig or a creature bait in cover without a rattle. I am a firm believer that the rattle not only draws in fish from a distance but can trigger a fish into biting. If I had a nickle for every time I threw into heavy cover and have to wait, and wait and wit for the fish to find my bait, i'd be a nickle millionaire. I believe the rattle drew those fish in and triggered them into biting. I have also thrown into cover right behind someone from the back of the boat and got bit on a rattle bait when the other person was not using a rattle. EVERY jig I own has a rattle.

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm

stratos1966

I will not throw a jig or a creature bait in cover without a rattle. I am a firm believer that the rattle not only draws in fish from a distance but can trigger a fish into biting. If I had a nickle for every time I threw into heavy cover and have to wait, and wait and wit for the fish to find my bait, i'd be a nickle millionaire. I believe the rattle drew those fish in and triggered them into biting. I have also thrown into cover right behind someone from the back of the boat and got bit on a rattle bait when the other person was not using a rattle. EVERY jig I own has a rattle.

How do you rig a creature with a rattle? Do mean a bead with a weight or an actual rattle?

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 am

when i went to a seminar brian thrift told me that your bait makes enough noise just coming through the water and that he never uses rattles

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 am

It is all a matter of personal preference like so many other options in fishing are.Scent or no scent fast or slow suspending or not many choices and many options.Floating bait on a carolina rig and so on do what feels right at the time and what you have confidence in

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 am

In dirty water I want my jigs to have a rattle. Or if the bottom has a lot of sediment or muck. Jigs will just dispear when they hit the bottom. I think the rattle helps the fish find the jig when its submerged in the bottom. Clear water I rather not have a rattle with my jigs.

Crankbaits I usually want a rattle, if I don't want a rattle that is when I pickup a swimbait.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am

shawneramone

stratos1966

How do you rig a creature with a rattle? Do mean a bead with a weight or an actual rattle?

This strap comes in the double rattle version you see here and a single version. The 2nd pic is the rattle you insert in the collar.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am

I see. I have those rattles but I have the collars that look like mickey mouse ears. I bet I could make them work...or just get different collars lol

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 am

I read somewhere that rattles can be detrimental on heavily pressured waters.

It's a Pavlov's dog kind of thing. When the fish keep getting hooked off baits that rattle they think twice next time they hear a rattle.

I think the latest Bassmaster has a small section that talks about it and some pros give their perspective.

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links