Any body ever vertcal jig largemouths in the winter. I was marking a lot of fish in deep water.
I'm trying to figure out how to catch them in the winter.

The water is stained and in the high 40s

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 am

I was trying to jig with a blade bait the other day and was coming up with perch. I figure it's only a matter of time before a bass loads up

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 am

haven't really done it until this year but have caught a lot of smallies on spoons and blades. i'll watch them on the electronics.

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 am

Sam's got it. Do the same as you would with a drop shot and just drop a spoon or silver buddy down on them.

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 am

at what depth do u think the trolling motor starts to spook them?

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 am

samf

haven't really done it until this year but have caught a lot of smallies on spoons and blades. i'll watch them on the electronics.

I love video game fishing!!!

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 am

me too haha

depends on the water clarity, weather, etc. i've been to crystal clear places where it didn't matter at 20' but it was overcast. spooked them at 25' at the same place but it wasn't a problem at 30+

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 am

fishermanmike

at what depth do u think the trolling motor starts to spook them?

Once you get to an area you want to fish in, drop the Tm speed way down and creep along. I have caught DS fish in as shallow as 10' right under the boat.

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 am

a great time to drop the spoon or blade down there is when they school up around bait. you can see fish tearing through bait balls here. i dropped the spoon right through the middle.

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 am

samf

a great time to drop the spoon or blade down there is when they school up around bait. you can see fish tearing through bait balls here. i dropped the spoon right through the middle.

That's awesome. I don't got a fish finder like that tho.
I thot I was making bait. Either that or weeds off the bottom.
Next week I'm dropping shiners down to make sure my fish finder isn't lieing

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am

great tips guys thanks for the info and pic SAM

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 am

samf

Is that the swiss alps?

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 am

There is an article in the Dec. issue of Bassmaster about jigging with spoons.

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 pm

haha neil. 3 lb. smallies tearing through huge schools of white perch. you know the drill.

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 pm

samf

Which lake is loaded with 3LB Smallie? I only saw ball of bait fish couple times in MA public lakes. The ball of bait fish is not common here. You see them on the sonar is not too difficult. The problem is how do you hold your jon boat in position and stay right on top the bait fish? They move, do they?

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links