I was in the lunker tourney at Whitmans pond today. High winds and 45 degree water. I wore my vest. I don't always wear it but when the conditions are bad I do. Towards the end of the day there were whitecaps and about 25 mph winds. I was turning to change baits when I stumbled. I made a grab for the trolling motor but it pulled up almost off the boat (so glad that didn't come in with me) and splash. I felt the cold instantly on my hands and feet. I swam to the boat, threw my rod in and pulled myself up. One of the guys in a bass boat (I'm not sure who as I never met him before) came over and asked if I wanted a tow. I figured that would be faster so I said yes. Fortunately I had a pair of shoes, a hoodie and my old rain gear in my car so I could change out of my wet clothes right away. From now on I will keep a duffle bag with a change of clothes in my car. And I will always wear my vest in crappy conditions

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:10 pm

holy crap, glad your ok!

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Jesus Shawn, glad you're ok brother!!!

Great advice and words to live by! One off the other dangers of fishing alone too! It only takes a few minutes for hypothermia to take over in this colder water and what if you hit your head or break a limb on the way into the drink? I always have clothes of some sort in my car, to put together a quick outfit like you did, but you can never be too ready or prepared!

On a lighter and not so much important note (because he is alive and well..... Shawn!), you saved the rod! Did you catch any fish?

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Damn Shawn glad you're ok. No joke falling in water that cold.

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

that's crazy. glad you saved yourself and gear. i've seen it happen and now try to make it a habit of wearing one when the water's cold. helps to keep warm too.

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm

shawneramone

I was in the lunker tourney at Whitmans pond today. High winds and 45 degree water. I wore my vest. I don't always wear it but when the conditions are bad I do. Towards the end of the day there were whitecaps and about 25 mph winds. I was turning to change baits when I stumbled. I made a grab for the trolling motor but it pulled up almost off the boat (so glad that didn't come in with me) and splash. I felt the cold instantly on my hands and feet. I swam to the boat, threw my rod in and pulled myself up. One of the guys in a bass boat (I'm not sure who as I never met him before) came over and asked if I wanted a tow. I figured that would be faster so I said yes. Fortunately I had a pair of shoes, a hoodie and my old rain gear in my car so I could change out of my wet clothes right away. From now on I will keep a duffle bag with a change of clothes in my car. And I will always wear my vest in crappy conditions

Dude I thought you fell in right at the ramp I didn't realize you were fishing when it happened, that was Dave Wojic (he runs Cran Bog Hawgs) that helped you out

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Glad your ok!!

BRRRRRRRR! THAT MUST HAVE BEEN F'N COLD!!!

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:31 pm

fishingreek

Glad your ok!!

BRRRRRRRR! THAT MUST HAVE BEEN F'N COLD!!!

45 degrees

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks guys. Ya Rog I caught one of the 3 and I wasn't droppin the KVD rod for nothing lol. Thanks again Dave!!!! Neil I was at the opposite side of the pond from where I last saw you. It was about 12.20-12:30 when it happened. All my clothes were completely soaked except for my upper torso. I was pretty grateful that the air temp was 45 and not 25. I'm not even sure my head went under. My hat was completely dry. I can't fall in on a 90 degree day right?

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:38 pm

shawneramone

Thanks guys. Ya Rog I caught one of the 3 and I wasn't droppin the KVD rod for nothing lol. Thanks again Dave!!!! Neil I was at the opposite side of the pond from where I last saw you. It was about 12.20-12:30 when it happened. All my clothes were completely soaked except for my upper torso. I was pretty grateful that the air temp was 45 and not 25. I'm not even sure my head went under. My hat was completely dry. I can't fall in on a 90 degree day right?

Of course not what fun would that be! I'm glad you are ok, today was the first time on my boat I actually was a little nervous about going in, I've been in some 2 foot rollers with it no problem, but that wind today was swirling and just turned on and off out of no where, caught me off gaurds a few times

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm

wow! Glad to hear you made out ok. Falling in is a scary thing,period.I follow the September and May rule for PFDs in Canoes and Kayaks just for that reason even though I have a bass boat and a jon boat.. I fish alone alot so I must be careful although I have Life insurance for my family, it's no joke when you fall in. I wear an auto inflate so it doesn't impede my fishing. I also have an artic armor suit when I ice fish. Yes it floats. I checked.

As they said in Hill Stree Blues " Let's be careful out there"

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I have the $20 bass pro vest. But have been thinking about the self inflate vest. I'm hoping for a sale

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Absolutely wait for the Bass Pro sale. I did. $79.00 In the spring. I am going to try it out in the early spring when I buy a new cartridge. I want to know what to expect when it inlates. You know? Cudos to your rescuer!!!

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Fished near Shawn for bit yesterday before spreading out for more water.

SO glad to hear that the PFD helped and you got yourself back in to your boat. Super cool there was a crew near bye to get you in to warmth quickly.

Not sure where you were but and may it never happen a again but most of the home owners give one or two are good people that if you could get to shore would have helped you out.

I wear PFD belt but it is not auto inflate. If I get out again I think I will wear my reg PFD and look into an auto for next season.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 am

Glad you are ok Shawn. I know the feeling. I fell in in March 2 years ago only I did a swan dive in 10'. It was like it happened in slow motion but there was nothing I could do. Water temps were the same as you . You don't quite feel it for what seems like a second or 2 then you get really cold really fast. I think it has to do with the shock wearing off.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links