im goin crazy here when the waterwas in the 50s i had no problem but now that its in the 40s im having such a difficult time need some tips on baits and where should i be fishing deep, drop offs, structure just need some general knowledge

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I asked the same question recently. This is what the guys had to say. http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/cold-water-bassin-t7268.html?highlight=cold%20water%20bassin

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Crankbaits with a pause..........suspending Jerkbaits, dont forget to let them sit for about 3 to 5 seconds, a couple of times each return.....rattletraps, burn them.......slo-drag a 8 to 10 inch worm across the bottom......once you find a fish there should be a bunch close-by, fish that area and alternate baits, usually a school of fish will key into all of them.

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 pm

As previously stated, try to stay with the shallow bog type ponds. The bass can't move to deeper water and are easier to locate. Once the water temp. is in the 40's (now) I prefer a suspending jerkbait. You still have to get them to bite though Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 am

as with every rule there is always the exception, just because the water is 40 degrees doesnt mean a 5 pound bass cant be found in a brush pile sitting in a foot of water, sure temp plans a role but its more weather that positions the fish in relation to the cover, dont be surprized to find bass in shallow cover with water temps in the 40's once the sun is high, rocks and gravel hold heat, areas where lilly pads grew in the summer are generally black bottom areas which holds heat well also, start deep and work shallower on really sunny days they will move up and usually the ones that move up are bigguns...just my two cents.

wait for the almighty Stratos to chime in on this Im sure he has a wealth of knowledge he will be willing to share

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Tournament last week water temp in the high forties at lauch, a total of 8 fish were weighed in, 5 were over 5 pounds all were caught relatively shallow

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm

sinista

Tournament last week water temp in the high forties at lauch, a total of 8 fish were weighed in, 5 were over 5 pounds all were caught relatively shallow

Don't forget to mention there was also 23 boats in that tornament!!

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 am

emerton

sinista

Don't forget to mention there was also 23 boats in that tornament!!

Sorry, Oh ya there was 23 boats in the tournament!

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 am

5 over 5?? I thought there was a 4,5.5, and a 6?

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 am

They get bigger over time

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 am

jbigun

Close enough

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:49 am

sinista

jbigun

Close enough

This is how we are going to run the weigh ins next year... scale says 5 lbs 12 oz...... we announce........... 6 lbs..... close enough!!!

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 am

stratos1966

sinista

jbigun

Close enough

This is how we are going to run the weigh ins next year... scale says 5 lbs 12 oz...... we announce........... 6 lbs..... close enough!!!

Isn't that the way it has always been??

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:53 am

true but we have a new rule

29.6: Bonus points will be awarded to the team with balls big enough to attempt to weigh in a short fish. If the fish gets by our judges the team gets 57 points. If they get caught they are flogged and the drain plug is pulled on their boat and it is set adrift.

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 am

stratos1966

true but we have a new rule

29.6: Bonus points will be awarded to the team with balls big enough to attempt to weigh in a short fish. If the fish gets by our judges the team gets 57 points. If they get caught they are flogged and the drain plug is pulled on their boat and it is set adrift.

After it is set on fire

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links